AVAST CS1 recirc mods

zygote2k

After installing and using many of these skimmers, I have found a number of useful modifications.

1) Use a tiny pump for the recirc feature. On this skimmer, I'm using a Rio 90 zip tied to the leg and held securely by the tubing. It powers the skimmer just enough, but not so powerful that it will volcano the skimmer when powering up. Smaller pumps make the gate valve way more sensitive- 1/4 turn to dial it in.

2) The bottom acrylic leg holder sometimes allows vibrations to go thru the sump acrylic. I have been discarding these.

3) The air silencer needs to be taller than the collection cup, so I made it taller by using the parts differently. Kinda looks weird, but the air silencer can now be easily taken apart and cleaned. Having it higher than the cup allows the tube to less likely get filled with water when the power goes off and the water from the cone has to go somewhere to drain.

4) If you are using these skimmers with a controller set up for a 'feed cycle', then you should do it like this to prevent volcano action:

turn off recirc pump, wait 1 min, turn off skimmer, wait 1 min, turn off main pump. reverse to start.gallery_2631654_862_53694.jpggallery_2631654_862_1411209.jpg

If you had a small line coming from your overflow, could you plum it directly to the skimmer?

sure- many skimmers are plumbed directly into the return assembly.

I like using the tiny pump under the bottom plate because of the small footprint that results.

I'm a little confused. You mentioned in #1 that the tiny pump is the recirc pump but it looks like a feed pump and that it isn't recirculating the skimmer. So if the main pump is your recirc pump did you have to drill a new hole or was there already a hole in the skimmer base that you used. Maybe a picture of the other side would make it all clear for me.

ok- the psk1000 is the main pump- I guess it becomes the recirc pump when you add the recirc kit. The Rio 90 is the 'feed pump' and when you buy the recirc mod, the 90 degree nipple comes with it and the hole is already drilled.

• 2 weeks later...

I missed this post and I just recently finished building my CS1 with recirc. My smallest pump readily available is an MJ600. Is that still too much?