Nano Newbie

emissary

So I'm thinking about taking an old 5G "Galaxy 5" tank (random pic of the tank) as a nano-reef at my office. I haven't done a tank this small and expect it to be quite a learning experience.

My first question is -- filtration? Assuming I throw a bunch of rock in there for biofiltration, what else do I do? I'm not going to have a skimmer hanging on the back... the provided filtration system sucks water from below the water surface runs it through a carbon/mechanical filter and over a bio-wheel back into the tank. My concerns here are first related to nutrient buildup on the surface and oxygen exchange.

Hmm... good pointers to nanoreef reading would be helpful also.

I have a 5 gallon reef setup right now. I have 2" sand bed with probably 5lbs of live rock in there, all from my display tank. I have a fluval2 for filtration and water movement. I have a ball of cheeto in there, some xenia,zoos,bubble coral,tiny hermit crabs,snails and had 2 fish in there with no parameter problems. I have a mini compact light and a floursent tube light on it.

Sorry i guess i could have said more.

I have 2 12 gallon nano's

1. crushed coral, with about 15 lbs. live rock, lots of corals, clown , gobie, snails. live rock in the filter chamber. Nothing else, no skimmer. 1 24 w pc

2. crushed coral, 10 lbs live rock, lots of corals no fish, 2 crabs, 1 snail, live rock in the filter chamber, no skimmer, 2 24 watt pc's

I top off with ro water, not much dosing at all. They do take a while to cycle and can change very quickly. I used rock, water and crushed coral from my main tank to setup the 2nd one with no cycle at all.

HTH

Guest minimalist
(edited)

For a 5g the only means of filtration/water flow you REALLY need is a power head. In addition to that, get a coralife 18W 50/50 light ($30). The power head's motor will provide enough of a temp boost to keep that tank at a constant 76 at night and 78 during the day (via the light).

I've run a similar set up in my 2.5 for some time now. It's clean as whoa with just the power head and light. The light won't fit length-ways, but you can simply set it on top width-ways or use rulers if you don't mind. With 18W you can only keep zoos, shrooms, and some low light corals. Get more light if you aim to keep anything else.

You could also forego the power head for the filter and convert it into a fuge. Just remove the carbon and bio-wheel and throw in some cheato. If you do decide to keep the carbon, ditch the wheel once cycling is complete. I recommend bringing water into work from your established tanks whenever you do a water change to start out.

Excellent fish for small reefs like this include Yellow Clown Gobies, and Neon Gobies. You can also keep a pair of Sexy Shrimp. Avoid the Peppermints as they're prone to picking on corals in such small tanks. (I speak from experience :angry: ) Fire Shrimp and Cleaner Shrimp are cool at first but grow too large within a year.

Nano-Reef.com is an excellent source of info.

With LS, LR, tank, power head, and light you can get a brand new tank for $100.

Good luck!

Edited by minimalist

Nano-Reef.com is an excellent source of info.

It is, but the juvenile atmosphere gets rather trying after a while.

If you're interested, here's a link to a DIY mod for an Aqua Clear 70 into a mini fuge. http://www.coralforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6754 This is my second one. The first that I did early last year, I didn't baffle and all kinds of sand got into the impeller area. With this one, I skipped the sand and just have a bit of LR rubble and chaeto in it, and I baffled that area.