Considering an upgrade from my 29g...

R Baxley

I have to be out of my apartment by the 31st of this month, but I already have my new apartment. I am considering setting up a larger tank (90g?) in my new apartment, adding some of my LR/LS to help seed the tank (maybe some old water too), and then adding my livestock. Woudl this be a bad idea? how much time would a new tank need? I have some dead (but beautiful) rock that I would add initially, an dthen i owuld transfer the 50 or so lbs of LR from my 29...

or shoudl I just move my 29 to my new place and upgrade at a later date???

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Rent

Guest minimalist

Set up the tank now. Cycling should be complete a week or so after you move in. Moving a tank is a @$%#&. Use the opportunity to set up a new one.

I have to be out of my apartment by the 31st of this month, but I already have my new apartment.  I am considering setting up a larger tank (90g?) in my new apartment, adding some of my LR/LS to help seed the tank (maybe some old water too), and then adding my livestock.  Woudl this be a bad idea?  how much time would a new tank need?  I have some dead (but beautiful) rock that I would add initially, an dthen i owuld transfer the 50 or so lbs of LR from my 29...

or shoudl I just move my 29 to my new place and upgrade at a later date???

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Rent

35070[/snapback]

set up the new one but use all of your rock and move it as fast as possible to minimze the die off thats the way i moved mine there was a small algae bloom after the switch but was well worth not moving it

Rent,

2 Issues

#1 Going to larger tank, your probably going to need alot more LR. Now there are several folks right now selling those and I would jump on them. If already cycled rock with your 29g rock, will get you a fast start in getting new tank up and running. USE the old water as much as you can. ESPECIALLY if your going to transfer fish stock to bigger tank.

DO NOT PUT UNCYCLED ROCK INTO TANK WITH LIVE FISH...you will have dead fish soon :(

#2 Adding fish to a cycling tank. Depending on #1 TIME: Between tearing down OLD tank and setting NEW tank up. If your talking a day or week. Putting temporarily into a large tub with a PH will do. If more than that, you might want to sell Livestock off and start with new fish. Might be time going from 29g to 90g to get rid of those DAMSELS! Sorry, personal issue with me lately.

#2 Make a plan on what you want in your future LARGER tank and stick to your plan as much as possible. Lighting requirements, Larger skimmers, PH, Water Flow Return Pumps, etc. I recommend starting on this yesterday or at least VERY SOON! :)

Have fun :)

Howard

I would also check with the landlord about having a bigger tank if you're on anything but the 1st floor. Not necessarily a weight issue but they get funny about insurance.

WOOHOO!!!

GOOD To see another loyal fan of the NATION!

You can pick up a 90 from the guy that was selling it in NW DC. He needs to move it fast.

GO SOX!!!!

GO SOX!!!

I think i'm going to stick with the 29g. I'm only moving about 100yds away and I'm pretty darn good at moving tanks at this point. I think that between moving and a new job I have enough on my plate at the moment. Ugh...someday i'll have more than 29g!

Thanks for all the help.

R

Guest D33rex

Indeed a 29 to a 90 is a large upgrade, especially if you are moving it up stairs...ha. If you want a smaller upgrade, I went from a 29 to a 40 a few years ago, you'd be surprised how much more room that extra six inches back gives you. And you can keep your same lighting set up and not have to spend that much money on upgrading other things. And if your young and still moving, a 40 is also a lot easier to move than a 90. Just a thought.

Rent,

If you want to do a 1/2 way upgrade I have a 55g AGA with an oak stand that I'll give you for $50.00. No scratches and no leaks. Just an option.