Tank move

mutley29

Well hopefully if all goes well my wife and i will be moving into a single family just up the road from our present location.

I know this subject has been touched on before but was after hints and tips from the many people here that have moved tanks before.

I have put some thought into it, we have figured out we will probably have to rent back our current property for about a week to enable us to properly move everything over from one tank to another, also thinking of upgrading to a 220 or 300.

At present i am thinking over a couple of days,

1, Take down lights move to new house and setup temporarily over rubbermaid containers with corals.

2, Remove remaining LR store submerged in containers until tank re-setup.

3, Catch all fish/inverts allowing me to get shot of my Hippo Tang, Checkerboard Wrasse and Foxface Rabbit fish.

4, Remove top layer of sandbed to reseed new sandbed.

5, Remove remaining water and sandbed with wetvac.

6, Remove Tank/Stand to new address to use as sump or main tank without sustaining a hernia.

Does anyone know how long i will be able to keep the corals in the rubbermaids, i'll be topping off daily and using a Remora to skim the water in the corals container.

Would anyone do any of that differently? if so how and why?

If i get a new tank how long would it take to break in if i used as much water as possible from old tank and reseed the sandbed?

There are probably many things i have forgotten and i know this part of the move will not be easy, hence i'm after as much knowledge and experience as i can.

Any / All help appreciated

Thanks in advance

Anton :)

Anton-

When we moved my 120g we moved it from Vienna to Woodbridge. We were able to complete the move in 4 hours. I would recommend doing it in 1 day if you can. I would also recommend keeping all of your old water and mixing it with that of the new tank.......less stress on all of your livestock.

Steve

Anton

Count me in. I helped move a 180 in less than a day, but it didn't have the coral and rock work yours does. May want to set-up a 100 gal stock tank a day or two a head of time and move your corals in there for a bit. This will give the main tank time to settle for a day or two after the move.

A Key item would be a mag 18 or larger pump to move all that water to trash cans in the back of pick-up trucks, and then back into the tank once set-up. Works wonders for your back.

Anton,

Agree with Steve and Paul,

This is a one day move process, get it started and done ASAP in as less of time as possible. Speaking from experience having helped move Steve, Rik, myself twice, etc, etc. Set a date, get at least 4-6 guys + in case of late cancellations and just DO IT!

First things first, you need a SOLID Plan, after you start is not the time to change your mind.

IF your going to a larger tank which would be easier, Depending on the time frame, say first free weekend, I would do a 20-25% water change and take all of the old water & some extra live rock, start to add to the new tank. Take over all of your NON-LIFE sustaning items from old location to new. Once your all setup with any new lighting, pumps, etc. Wait a 3-5 days and repeat again. The following weekend make the move.

1, Take down lights move to new house and setup temporarily over rubbermaid containers with corals. DO ABOVE AND WON'T NEED TO WORRY ABOUT THIS!

2, Remove remaining LR store submerged in containers until tank re-setup.

AGAIN, DO ABOVE AND WON'T NEED TO WORRY ABOUT THIS!

3, Catch all fish/inverts allowing me to get shot of my Hippo Tang, Checkerboard Wrasse and Foxface Rabbit fish.

DITTOS

4, Remove top layer of sandbed to reseed new sandbed.

GOING TO LARGER TANK, KEEP ALL. WILL BE FINE!

5, Remove remaining water and sandbed with wetvac.

SEE ABOVE

6, Remove Tank/Stand to new address to use as sump or main tank without sustaining a hernia.

THIS IS WHERE YOUR FRIENDS COME IN :) With a 220g tank, you will need 4-6+.

Borrow as many tubs as you can and will take about 1 1/2-2hrs for tear down and about same for reset up.

Do a search on "Moving Tank" on website for actual process, but can be done, just need to PLAN on what you want BEFORE you do it!

Howard

PS, Depending on the date, I'll do my best to be there?

I would be willing to help. Something about tearing them down and building them back up that I love!

Besides I know how much of a pain it is to move stuff by yourself so I am always willing to give a hand.

-Byron

Ditto on what Howard said.

One thing that would help is to use a 100 gal rubbermaid as a temp sump plumbed into the new tank. This way you can do a big water change on your old tank the weekend before you move, add new water & old water to the temp sump & new tank & let it settle over the week. This will allow for extra water available at the new place.

I will make myself available to help on moving day, depending on the date. When are you scheduling the move?

Guest D33rex

Anton,

I'm here in Manassas too, I just recently moved my 55 by myself in one day. (it can be done..ha). I'd be willing to help as well, and I have a truck.

Derek

Thanks for all the info and offers of help i really appreciate it,

We haven't nailed down a closing date as yet but will try to keep all appraised of the situation.

Have been looking at a 240 long from Glasscages with stand and possibly a canopy too, am still undecided, i know i know i need to shift my arse.

i'm also thinking of a closed loop for this tank, 4 holes in the back, the tank will be visible from 2 sides, i'm not familiar with closed loop setups .i.e. best positioning for flow and circulation but i suppose that all depends on where you place your LR anyway.

Also thinking of upgrading to either a Euroreef or an ASM do the ASM's work as well as the Euroreef's, i've spoken to Euroreef owners and they swear by them just not sure a few bits of acrylic is worth that much money.

Thanks again for all the help

question is what shall i do with my 180 if i get the 240, the mind boggles at the possibilities

Anton

I'll take the 180 gal tank off your hands if your giving it away ;) .

• 1 month later...

Well, it looks like we will start moving in on the 28th August, we don't close until the 31st but have been given access to the house from 4pm until 7pm that day and also some time on the Monday too.

If anyone can lend a hand moving the tank that day it would be much appreciated, i know this is very very short notice, we only got the times finalised today.

Am going to junk the 98% of the sandbed and have a bare bottom until my 240 is ready.

Won't be able to pay in frags at the moment as my stonies are suffering from something and i don't want it to spread to someone elses tank, i've lost 90% of my SPS and a couple of LPS too. I will have beer as compensation.

Any help appreciated, i have a Ford ranger so the tank can go in that and the house is about a mile away maybe less

Thanks

Anton