Bleaching Frogspawn

emissary

So as one or two of you may have seen in my tank... I have a large frogspawn coral that does pretty well, and has for years. Bought it as a 5 stalk colony (1 dead stalk, 4 live stalks total)... It's now in my tank as something lik1 4 stalks and that's after I've fragged off sizeable colonies of 4-7 stalks TWICE. So it does well :)

Anyway, it's gotten to the point where it's grown to near the water surface. The uppermost stalks started to bleach. I just watched it for a while get lighter and lighter in a few stalks not being sure what to do. Finally, last week I got a strip of wood and laid it across the top of my tank directly across some of the whiter stalks. A week later, and they're darker than they used to be. Excellent.

Don't fly too close to the sun with your wax wings :)

Just a thought.

Don't fly too close to the sun with your wax wings :)

Just a thought.

34937[/snapback]

an icarus reference!!!! sswweeettt!

Great test.

It's recommended that you acclimate corals by using layers of vinyl screens over them when you introduce them into your tank. (I think it applies most if you are placing it where your lighitng is stronger than the lighting where it came from, and whether it was actually there long enough to be settled in that tank.)

Since it's important not to block all of the light output, why not try a system of 1 or 2 layers of screen over it? I bought some at Lowes and plan to use it the next time I add or move things around.

FF

Since it's important not to block all of the light output, why not try a system of 1 or 2 layers of screen over it?  I bought some at Lowes and plan to use it the next time I add or move things around.

Well the block of wood blocks some of the light, not all of it. There's still some ambient light that gets around the wood... But the screen idea is a good one...