identifying sex in banggai's

clearsky57

Hi there:

I have being doing some reading on sexing Banggai Cardinals, and not quite clear on the best way to identify..

There seem to be a lot of posts on the internet regarding the jaw line, but then there are folks on there saying when the male is carrying, he tends to have

a more rounded jaw, but when they are not breeding, it is similar to the female.

Does anyone have any input on a good/better way to sex them?

thanks

david

In my experience, it's guess work until the male holds eggs for the first time. They're probably the biggest pain to sex of any fish that you can sex. Once they're more mature, it's easier, but when you're trying to figure out which ones to buy, it's very hard because they aren't mature enough yet.

I bought one with a longer posterior dorsal fin and one with a shorter fin. They're still small and don't spend much time together but I'm holding out hope. At least they're not fighting.

I've read that there's no sure fire way to sex them. I picked up two random fish and will just hope for the best. Both of them have a body maybe the size of a dime so I'll have a bit before they do anything. At least they seem to be near each other most of the time. Crossing my fingers I got lucky.

Good luck!

The way I got a pair and the only way I can think of: I bought 4 bangaii's with the expectation that two of them would pair off and beat up the other two, so I would remove the two that were getting beat up. It turned out that I barely saw any of them for about a month, then two showed up and were in the open all the time so I guess they fought it out for that month in the back and two of them were killed. After about 6 months, the male had eggs in his mouth.

Well...... I've gone the route of buying four fish in the hopes I would have a pair...

I tried to buy ones with a little diversity, but honestly, I can't tell... I would be lying if I thought I had a pair.. so I will keep my

fingers crossed, and hope there is some domination there... Right now they all seem to get along, but one does seem to be alone at times..

Guess time will tell....

thanks

david