ecotech's radions

Mike Mann

Im looking into getting some LED lights for my reef tank and was wondering if anybody could help me figure out if the ecotech radions are going to be ok on my tank. i know very little about them, only what they have on there website so i want to hear from somebody that has them personally. I have a 210 gallon mixed reef. its 72"x24"x28" with an 8" canopy. At the moment im running three MH, a 250 in the cnter and two 150's on the ends and my coral seem to be doing fine so could i use three radions? and with the lights being so high will it even be enough light for the bottom of the tank? They do not state how long they are good for(hourly or yearly) so how long do these fixtures even last because they are VERY pricey. Thanks for reading and hopfully you all can help me out!!

you should be fine with 3. a radion = 250w MH in strength. so you'd be upgrading from 1 250w and 2 150w's, to 3 250w's, more or less. they say the radions will last 10 years, but you'll replace the pucks long before that, or even the fixtures. my tank is 27" deep, so your 28" deep should be fine. if you go heavy sps you might want to run 4 over the tank, but 3 would cover it from end to end (each radion has a 24"x24" footprint). they do cost a lot up front, but over time you save money (or at least break even) with the lower electric bill, and the lack of new MH bulbs each year.

ok thanks alot for the help. i was hoping to be able to use just 3. i have some sps but mainly lps so that shouldnt be a problem for me. Now you say change the Pucks does ecotech sell them already? and if so do you know how much they are charging? thanks again!!

ok thanks alot for the help. i was hoping to be able to use just 3. i have some sps but mainly lps so that shouldnt be a problem for me. Now you say change the Pucks does ecotech sell them already? and if so do you know how much they are charging? thanks again!!

they dont have replacement pucks yet. thats in the future. nobody knows the pricing yet. i would guess $100 each to the most current LEDs on the market at the time. it just means these fixtures will last a very long time and can be fully upgraded.

i am just starting to use mine. you can find my tank build thread in the dedicated tank forum. also check out Fishie's. his name is Nick, and he has 2 radions over his tank as well. lastly, the current totm, christran, has radions over his tank as well here:

http://www.wamas.org/totm.php

The radions rock...just get them don't even think about it...

The only thing that is also nice is the ai sol blue but with all the optics that have been widened...I forget maybe 70 or more...the default ai sols have very narrow optics...resulting in less spread..and requiring more lights...or lifting too high and can bleach stuff right under it...

Both ecotech and ai are the better ones out there...but ATM radions are hot..

Maybe vega will level the playing field a bit ...

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, you better go back and read the article. He may have radions on there now, but that's not what got the tank to where it is. :tongue:

bite yo' tongue!

ask him to post a FTS from today then. i dare ya! :)

Ok, you better go back and read the article. He may have radions on there now, but that's not what got the tank to where it is. :tongue:

Thank you. I keep seeing these growth from led pics, but all these tanks were mature already. I wanna see the growth from LEDs since day1I bet I could find tanks with great growth from t5s and halides too. Sorry, I just think the lighting gets to much credit