HELP whats wrong??

NYfan78

Ok i just got these 2 ocellaris(sp?) this past Sunday. Both came from the same tank at the store(Ricks). One has like a bubble on his his and the other has a white mark pn his side near the front of him. Im kind of freaking out cus these are my first fish in my first sw tank! Help me out please!!!! Thanks!458ceb41-f0a4-5bf3.jpg

458ceb41-f0b9-5176.jpg

Does this describe what you are seeing?

Fungal Infections

The spores of fungus are always present within the aquarium, and can become infectious when the fish already have damaged gills or skin. Fungal infections are typically secondary infections. White, cottony growth on the body of the fish is the main physical symptom. Anti-fungal medicines are usually the best option to fight the infection. Most of the anti-fungal medications available on the market also fight bacteria, thus providing double protection.

This is a helpful website.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/common.php

Lymphocystis typically is seen on the fins on saltwater fish although it is not uncommon to see growths on the skin as well. However the infection tends to start on the fins.

There are arguments by many that there no cure for Lymph. I have never cured it. I have been able to control the growths by trimming the fins using iodine on the fin after the "surgery".

I am not an expert on identifying illness. In fact many illnesses in regards to fish are misdiagnosed. Cultures and scrapings under a microscope (and an educated knowledge base) is the only way to truly diagnose. Ick, well thats an easy one. IMHO I dont think it is Lymph... I believe it is protazoal...

Is there a coating or film on the fish. Bite Marks? Are they scratching, breathing heavy? Are they Eating? Are they wild caught or captive raised.

Clownfish are very prone to being infected with "Clownfish Disease" or Brooklynella . At the onset fish may scrap up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus. Fish become lethargic, refuse to eat, and colors fade, but the most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from Oodinium is the heavy amount of slime that is produced. As the disease progresses a thick whitish mucus covers the body, usually starting at the head and spreading outward, skin lesions appear, and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections to arise.

If it is the store should be called and pics sent..... Nasty affliction.....

Ok both things look like bumps on them. Coloring is good, they are eating. No white mucus around there bodies. Im so new at this.

I had a similar experience about a year ago. From my experience, I wouldn't recommend treating in your DT. If you use chemical filtration,it will remove the treatment and a smaller tank is easier to do the water changes in during the treatment. Grab a cheap Petco complete setup, remove the carbon filter, add an airstone, and you have a hospital tank. I have a complete 14g setup you can use if you are in my area.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk

I would start with a FW dip.

Freshwater Dip, with fresh RODI water, similiar temp, for a few minutes.

Edited by John

Freshwater Dip, with fresh RODI water, similiar temp, for a few minutes.

Good advice, Match the PH of the Fresh Water Dip to Your Aquarium Please..... My tap water is 7.0, my aquariums are 8.4. Fresh water dips are incredibly effective against certain Flukes and external Flatworms. 5 minutes, they get very lethargic and respire heavily. I use dechlorinated Tap water buffered to 8.2, floated in the tank in a heavy duty gallon ziplock. Why tap water? I was taught by a very smart man a long time ago.

By the way, do you know if the clowns are captive or wild caught?

I still have a gut feeling it is Brook.

I know Sean from Fins and Feathers has put alot of time into prevenitive treatments as well as identifying ailments.... maybe he can chime in.

Clowns are tank raised. Do i let them swim freely in the fw or lay em in the net?

Clowns are tank raised. Do i let them swim freely in the fw or lay em in the net?

Swim freely, although they won't be swimming. They'll probably lay at the bottom of the container and appear to be very lethargic.

ok, if it is a serious infection. Tomorrow will most likely be the day you will see change. It could be as minor as a simple bacterial infection. Where dips in freshwater as discussed can help.. Once upon a time I witnessed a few cures of simple fungal infections with using (Pimafix/Melafix combined) in a freshwater dip. I am routing for you and the clowns! If you get a change snap a close up pic...