Congressional Aquarium

Jan

Stopped by Congressional Aquarium in Rockville with Cris. They have some really nice and even some unique livestock. The prices are very good and the service was great. I picked up a very large Black velvet nudibranch. My lil pico has planaria. This is the biggest healthiest nudi I've ever had. It's about half the size of my middle finger. It went to town on the FW's. They had other nudibranch, which I've never seen at other LFS's and gorgeous blue dot sea hares. I was so tempted to buy a blue dot but I don't have any macro for it.

Here's the other nudi they have in stock...

138373638_f4869182fe_m.jpg

...and the blue dot sea hare

bursatella_leachii.jpg

Congressional Aquarium, Thanks for the great service, the very healthy livestock and many thanks for being honest by not trying to sell me something that wouldn't survive. I'll be back!

Edited by Jan

Well, they must have changed their pricing standards sometime during the last couple of months.

I think the experience people have with the sales clerks there depends on how much they think you already know when you walk in the door. I have seen/heard them on several occasions telling noobs just about anything to sell livestock to them.

I have a primary grudge against Congressional because it has a "history" of selling FW fish that have been scaled and inked or otherwise mutilated to pretty them up for bucks from noobs. If I saw an official statement from the owner that none of these fish are marketed there, I would be able to shop there without feeling guilty for supporting an irresponsible vendor. I only go there if I don't have other options.

They do usually have a good variety of dry goods.

That hypselodoris, which will starve to death without the correct species of sponge for food, is one of the reasons I stopped shopping there years ago. Sorry to see they still sell them. It may be pretty, but who would sell an animal to die of starvation?

Here's a piece from the Sea Slug Forum: Chromodoris/Hypselodoris