Selecting Salt Type

Guest Sachin

Guest Sachin

I have been using Instant Ocean

I was wonder if this brand is better than any other

I was told from a friend that Crystal Reef is better if you have Coral

Is that true, if so does that mean it is also better for fish as well or just coral?

Please let me know

if you have a favorite one or have better luck with one vs another type of salt mix

thank you

Sachin

I've been using instant ocean for about 15 years now, since I first tried salt in my old 55 gal. I've had great success with it. I've been told the same BS about this mix is better than this one, it all about what works best for you. The biggest reason I like instant ocean is that it doesn't cloud up the water at all.

Deepblue

Guest alex wlazlak

i like it too, and its the cheapest isnt it?

I use Instant Ocean also, like the old saying weve heard a million times goes, If it aint broke, dont fix it...

I think the real issue is cost and then not changing what you are using with each new buy of salt- I use IO as it was widely available and reasonable in quantity. So I will stay with it just to keep the system a bit more stable- lots of horror stories about changing salt mixes with too large of a water change- same stories about light changes- Right Chip?

Guest clownfish4

I have been using IO since I began this hobby almost two years ago. Like others have said, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!"

Yes Lee, I'm still feeling the effects of that.

One thing to remember is how you handle and store the salt you use.

That applies to any salt mix

I recently bought a bunch of 200# boxes of IO. I cleaned out my IO bucket and dried it really well and poured the 4 50#bags from the box into it so I can store it, and store it dry. If you don't use a bucket, spin the bag and seal it like you would bread.

A little moisture goes a long way when it comes to salt. As a matter of fact, that little bit of moisture can possibly ruin a bag of salt or batch of sea water.

I would not use a salt mix or batch that will not easily and completely dissolve.

I mention this because you never know what it is that will not dissolve and you can bet it will reak havoc in your system. Personally, I believe it's a calcium ion that remains in crystal form similar to spent kalk. This in turn could cause you to add water that is lower in calcium, lower in DKH or less likely to match your current sea water and buffering capability.

I plan ahead and mix, airate and match as closely as I can any water I plan to change.

I let this water "cook" for several days prior to my water exchange which allows the water to come up to a better PH and build a better buffer bank.

Lee, I do heat that water.

IMO if you start with one salt, STICK WITH IT!!!

everyone may have good results with the salts they start out with, when changing salts, bad things start to happen. different salt mixes are not the same, and can detramental affects on your corals. the fish may not show signs of stress, but the corals and anemones certainly will. i have changed salts and ended up with IO. IO is pretty much an industry standard. it is not the cheapest or the most expensive and it is a good mix.

SO........ like everyone else said: If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT!!

JMO!!

happy reefing "reefmon" quote :)

Anybody ever end up here?

http://www.aquacraft.net/s9910.html

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/3/aafeature or here? What's really in a Salt mix?

Aquacraft is a manufacturer of a Salt Mix and Reef additives. I don't know yet how good their Salt mix is (naturally they're going to paint it in as good a light as possible). But with regard to the health of fish and critters all aspects of the tank are always worth investigating options, now and later on. And yet we're always dragged down to the common denominator of the bottom line - cost.

I have no problem with a popular name brand, but if someone gave you a choice between a free Pioneer car stereo or a Nakamichi, which would you take home?

For most average listeners the Nakamichi name isn't even on the radar, but the products are far superior.

Anyway, I had read the above a while back. The Aqvanced Aquarist contains a study of fertilization of Urchin eggs to compare salt mixes. And yet someone had the audacity to state that the relationship of the health of those eggs are no basis for comparing a Salt mix since the other species in your tank are too different.

Hmm. Evidently, he's never heard of a Canary in a Coal Mine.

I'm not yet deeply experienced with the world of captive reefs. Anyone willing to offer an opinion that that they'd recommend something other than IO?

I use Tropic Marin only because I bought a complete reef tank from a guy that was a veterinary and that was the brand he was using. Tropic Marin boosts that it has the 75 elements that match sea water exactly. Don't know, just know everything seems to like it and haven't had any problems so I will keep using it. It's a little more expensive but not sure if that really means anything.

Doug

Thanks. The first time I read some similar articles, they concluded that the salt really did matter. Later I saw the other one that stated that testing proved that it didn't. Either way I'm interested in trying a mix that appears to be more complete.

I bought Nutri-water a few times from the Vienna Aquarium. It's jugs of seawater that has some additives and supposedly live bacteria. Each time I did a water change the corals opened right up, a huge difference.

So I'm willing to believe that anything that more closely approximates seawater will have similar effects.

FF

I'm one of the few in the group who uses MarineMix and have no problem with.

It like all salts NEEDS a couple of days after mixing to dissolve in an aerated bucket. I found Roozens to have the best price at $27 for 150# box in MD.

DO NOT MIX SALTS! PERIOD! DON'T, STOP, DON'T DO IT!

...did you understand that???

For some reason mixing salts has been dissasterous for SEVERAL folks tanks, corals, etc.

NOW, IMHO:

From my 3+ years and as you can see, alot of conversations on this and other subject.

If your STARTING out with a NEW TANK that is getting it's first batch of salt.

I would recommend the IO. Very readily available and if you shop, price is right.

Marinemix is a great salt, but not as readily available as the others.

Howard