Fear of Plumbing

GrrrMomma

Okay, so I really want to add a sump to my 55 gal to increase the water volume, get a better skimmer and improve water quality. My issues is: fear of plumbing. I can't even jiggle the toilet handle without breaking something! I was hoping some of you more experienced folks might have a list of supplies/tools I should have on hand and some general hints as I embark on planning this project? Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

Plumbing is super easy.Check out this video-

Thanks! I am just trying to go into the project well armed...

PVC is relatively cheap, so you can do a few practice pieces first just to see how quick the joints set up and what they feel like when they slide together.

I'm assuming that you have a standard 55g without overflows. You want to add a sump and an overflow box, right?

I'd seriously suggest that you get a reef-ready tank and skip the overflow box altogether.

Where is Aspen Hill? I am in Gaithersburg (actually MV.) You could come see what I've done and I'll let you waste a little PVC and glue. Like the previous poster said, this stuff is cheap and just don't be afraid to make a few mistakes.

Ross

My uncle lives there so if I ever get out that way I can stop by with some tools and help you do what you need to do. Or, feel free to swing by Herndon (if you ever head out to Marine Scene, BRK, or F&F I'm on the way to the latter two and 2 minutes from the first). I can show you how to plumb stuff and cut it and you're welcome to borrow some tools. It really is easier than it looks, you just have to dive in and try it.

I'm assuming that you have a standard 55g without overflows. You want to add a sump and an overflow box, right?

I'd seriously suggest that you get a reef-ready tank and skip the overflow box altogether.

I agree. A drilled tank is much much better than a tube overflow. And, as long as you are at it, look for a 75 ready ready. About the same dimensions but a few inches wider. It makes it much easier to aquascape and work in the tank.

I agree. A drilled tank is much much better than a tube overflow. And, as long as you are at it, look for a 75 ready ready. About the same dimensions but a few inches wider. It makes it much easier to aquascape and work in the tank.

Thanks everyone for the support! I promised myself I would stick with the 55 for a year while I got comfortable with the marine aquarium basics. 5 months in and I am totally wanting more room to play with. Let's see if I can hold out til march, at least then I will have the excuse of a birth day ;) I am feeling much better about the potential plumbing project now. Now to read all the threads about this kind of project!

If I was you I wouldn't waste much time with that if you want bigger allreay. Just learn as much as possible on water stabilty, and start preping for the next tank. Design and propose to fellow reefers, come close as possible to a perfect build. Then start preparing and the your year is up and you didn't waste time or money on stuff you might not be able to use.

Oh yea plumbing is easy I like to glue my negitive lap joints but it's not required.