LED lighting vs Metal Haylide

clearsky57

Guest thefishman65
LED's are here to stay.

color blending and dimming are the frontlines of this industry.

I agree how many people are still playing with mixes of MH and T5 to get just the right color. I see all the time requests for the 'proper' bulb configuration. The catch is that LEDs are not as easy (or as often) to replace. So I think the problem is getting a fixture that can be adjusted to the widest (complete ?) audience. I think ecotech is trying to jump the competition by giving you more color to choose from. Is it required IMHO probably not, but I am probably not as picky about color as some.

So basically this is the point that LED people are saying but not technically saying.... LEDs "will" be the future, and "eventually" they will have the color/dimming/blahblah "solved".. BUT..... You should still buy them now "even though" they still need a little more "fine tuning" , and then you can "upgrade" (again) later on down the road (12-18 months, when the new thing comes out)..

Nothing against LEDs, I like them, and agree there "part of" the future, but not it alone. I agree with Mike, that heat is a big seller to me, the electricity I think is fairly important, though my tank isnt huge, so not a big deal. Not replacing bulbs once a year is also appealing, except, that I dont know for sure that my LEDs will last 7-10 years. My ecoxotic's already have a couple burned out LEDs. I do most certainly think LEDs are a part of the future, and an important part of it. But T5 and MH are tried and true, they work, you know how long it will work (bulb replacement), you know the color options, you know exactly what your getting. Not to mention, thanks to LEDs, there pricing has gotten better too.!

Travis, coming from someone who has spent A LOT of time the past 9 months planning and building an LED fixture, I agree with you. I would like to think that my fixture will last me the next 7-10 years, but truthfully... I doubt it.

(at the very least, I don't think I will have the tank which it will be lighting that long ph34r.gif)

But as Sanjay said, "a photon is a photon."

Rob, I wasn't knocking LEDs, I was making the point in regards to the Guy who says they last 10 years before replacement, and then says who actually keeps it that long anyways. One of the so called benefits of LEDs is not having to replace bulbs or fixtures for 10 years, but what's the benefit of them if you're constantly "upgrading ".

So, why do people buy new cars? A well maintained car could go 200,000 - 300,000 miles or more. If I buy a new car before my old car wears out did I defeat the purpose of buying the old car? It is in the nature of many people to want to upgrade perfectly good cars, aquariums, light fixtures, etc!

Thats a true statement. But your comparing apples to well, something not edible. I get the point of your statement. I work for an automotive dealer, and I see lots of people both keeping and upgrading to the newest. But these cars arent being "marketed for lasting 7-10 years" where as LEDs are being marketed that way. No car company claims you wont have to replace a part for 7-10 years.. Look now im comparing apples to unedibles..