Need help determining an external return pump

Novi

Ok so what it basically seems to me is just adjusting the Gate or Ball Valve to only be open as much as it needs to be so no air is being sucked in and making that horrible gurgle yes? And also having one shorter pipe for your main drain and your second pipe for being for Emergency.

But having two corner overflows how would this work? One would just be for emergency? Something doesn't sound right because it would constantly be full of water with no movement inside the overflow on the Emergency side wouldn't it?

Not to disagree, but here is an article stating otherwise. (regarding the 1" drains, not the pumps power consumption...)

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/SystemPIX/PlumbingPix/Oneinchart.htm

That article is a bit overly pessimistic. I agree in point, but not with the numbers. I've measured 450 GPH through a RR overflow with a 1.25" Durso and it worked just fine and still had more capacity left. I didn't want to get into the open channel Vs full siphon discussion too deeply. I see it has been discussed a lot since. My point was a dual overflow Reef Ready tank has nowhere near the capacity to handle a 4300 GPH pump. If you go full siphon with a Bean or Herbie, then the capacity increases considerably.

If the OP is still looking for an external, a Panworld 50PXX is one to check out.

Edited by sjm817

Wow that sucks.... But I do not feel comfortable re-drilling my tank so the Dual 1"'s will have to do.

I will go with a smaller pump. I do not want an internal pump though simply because I do not want the added heat that goes along with it.

What do you guys think about this pump?

Water Blaster HY 7000

Circulating Water Pump

* HY7000W

* Watts: 88 watts

* 97% efficiency

* Max Flow=1,800gph

* Max Head= 12 ft

* Inlet: 1.25" / Outlet: 1"

Internal pumps don't add as much heat as you think unless it consumes a drastic amount of wattage and you have it restricted greatly. Why not go with the new Eheim return pump? I use them in 2 applications and they are super silent and consume small amounts of power. Best bang for your buck.

BTW, the Water Blaster pumps are internal (submersible) pumps even though they like many submersibles, they can be run externally. Submersible pumps have wet rotors and will add heat to the water whether run external or internal. As above, people make more of this than what it really is. Its a small amount of heat unless you use a big high wattage pump.

Briefly, a herbie is a submerged overflow that the water is pushed through under some pressure because of the water above it. I run one from my tank out of the overflow. It's fully submerged and feeds my skimmer. It's 1" and is force fed a constant flow of water due to the pressure from the water above it. My "back up" drain is a 2" hole that runs up to the top of the overflow chamber and simply flows over the top of it and then down to the sump.