clownfish coating & euphyllia corals

treesprite

Does the coating that clownfish have work for euphyllia corals the way it does for anemones? One of my clownfish has been hanging out in a hammer coral which has at times gotten me with stings, so I'm wondering if the clownfish is getting stung and doesn't care, or if the coral doesn't recognize the fish as foreign.

Further, I will just note that the fish never bothered this coral until I got an anemone last week which is on the opposite side of the tank from the organge monti the fish were hosting in, while the hammer is on the monti's end of the tank. The clowns like the anemone, but are still a bit torn between it and the monti, so it seems the fish goes for something with tentacles that is closer to what they were already calling home. Maybe I should move the hammer down to where the anemone is.

Edited by treesprite

Yeah, their coating works the same for euphyllias as it does for anemones. The only downside is euphyllias sometimes don't take to the clowns as well as we would like. I have seen numerous people have their frogspawn/hammer/torch die from being pestered by their clown for an extended period of time.

Thanks for the replies.

Funny thing is, I moved the hammer to the opposite side where the anemone is, meaning I had to move my duncan to where the hammer was. Then the clown switched from the hammer to the duncan. I think he's just looking for something near the old host that has properties of the anemone... trying to have his cake and eat it too I guess.

• 2 weeks later...