Skipper's 40B

skipperawe

Hi all!

Ive decided to come back into the hobby, and not slowly at that. My dad got a new 120G tank and i got a 40B. Both are working but under the process of modification/perfection. That being said, this thread is for my 40B. It has acustom stand with a 20G sump and skimmer. 3 power heads, 1 small fish and some macro algae in the display for the time being.

45aqv.jpg

KZ2jw.jpg

bTa4y.jpg

pooOG.jpg

about a week after the tank's setup, algae runs rampant... advice?

skipperawe

Edited by skipperawe

Algae is often seen in new tanks. Since you don't have any livestock holding back on feedings would be a tremendous help in fighting the algae....check the phosphates and lights, too.

the black tubes on the left are an over-complicated overflow system, which will soon be replaced by the castle overflow you see on the right.

I have been doing about a 1/4th water change every other day for a week now, and pinching out as much as i can. i seem to have got it under control, now its just a matter of time before my critters eat the remaining strands up.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

sTKhc.jpg

9ZxlG.jpg

HaEms.jpg

ssNMt.jpg

After my tank stabilized and the hair algae was all but gone, i added approx. 7 Lbs. of live rock and 2 fish, a blue chromis and a six-line wrasse, which was followed a by a spike in hair algae, and some type of macro algae that occurs in small leaf-like shapes(could possibly be shredded lettuce algae). i purchased a cleanup crew from reefcleaners.org

the crew included a small conch, which can be seen in the center of the final picture.

so, in short... 2 fish, a bit of live rock, and a new algae issue

Edited by skipperawe

Im still trying to figure out what i really want to do with the tank, but i do know i want a mated pair of clowns. Had my eye on the black ice clowns at the meeting. What a steal of a price! too bad a kid like me doesnt have 180 bucks layin around. I picked up a 4-polyp orange and purple acan that glows brilliantly orange under actinics.

I also definitely want something for the clowns to host in, but im not so sure about an anemone that would crawl around killing my corals.

as of present im working on my second algae issue, and until that gets resolved, nothing expensive goes into my tank.

Any ideas on what kind of algae im dealing with now?

i see... i'll keep broping the snails over there in the hopes theyre hungry

• 1 month later...

algae problems gone for now, recently got a beautiful little acan, zoa frag, and yellow diamond goby.

i may post some tomorrow, but for now the light are off so my tanks is pretty quiet. ohh and i got a new skimmer. 4" reef octo. its been running for almost a week now and is beginning to really pull crud out of my tank!