Rescue koi from Meridian Hill park

Steve G

I just saw this ad suggesting that someone dumped koi in the public fountain at Meridian Hill (Northwest DC between 15th and 16th Streets, just north of Florida, which is just north of W St). http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/zip/2726160531.html

Since they are going to drain the fountain, someone needs to rescue these fish. I may try to go and get some, but I can only handle one or two fish (depending on size) in my already tiny pond. Spreading the word.

Koi (or whatever species of carp they might be) are very easy to care for, but I do hope we can educate people who take these fish.

Steve

Guest thefishman65

How are you going to catch them? Unless I found the wrong picture it looks more like a pond than a fountain. Or are they in the actual steps?

man we have a pond at the farm...do koi need anythign special...its got a ton of fish in it now but koi could be cool or do they need special care over the winter, guess johnny would be the one to ask.

ive seen some neighbors with huge koi in their ponds so im guessing wouldnt need to do much but may have to send the wife on a mission if i could just put em in the pond and they could fend for themselves over the winter etc..(its like 100x50ft spring fed pond so no chance of catching them once they are in)

They don't really need any special care. Hopefully they were fed good before they dumped them. If so they should winter just fine.