Red blotches on Yellow Tang

Ne0eN

Need your help guys - my gf's Yellow Tang has developed red blotches on the base of the dorsal fin. The redness seems to be transparent and spreading around the top fin. There is also some redness around the fishe's preoperculum. (mouth/head). Other than that he seems to act normal. He's eating voracioulsy, and has been growing nicely. (about 3.5 inches currently - He inhales sheets of green algea, formula 1/2, brine shrimp) Water quality seems to be good, although, I've been trying to raise the pH a bit - it's around 8.0 right now. (monthly 20% water change) Any clues to what's bugging him? 260 gal tank - his tankmates are a pair of tomato clowns, pair of firefish gobies, and 5 damsels. (2 of them are already spoken for - so there will be less bio-load). UV filtration on 24/7, currently not skimming - awaiting a new ASM G3 skimmer.

-Rob

10 fish in a 260?

Bioload isn't your problem that is for sure, but I'd move the damsels anyway... mean little buggers. Sorry I can't help you ID the problem, they could be picking on him.... but prolly not.

Guest alex wlazlak

they're poop is (well mine) like half a centimeter round, and just decinigrates on the tank floor..im starting to feed him around 2"x2" pieces of nori, one a day...is that enough or should i put in more a day??

Rob

My yellow tang went throuh that, he had red blotches around his stomach area. He lasted one week. It was later determined that he had indigestion due to consuming pieces of silicon from the tank edge. It was a tremendous loss since he was with us for a period of 16 month.

That's not a very good prognosis. :(

Update: the Tang appears to be slightly better today. I've been skimming like crazy with a new ASM G-3 and rechecked the water parameters again today. Amonia, Nitrite, Nitrate all 0, pH 8.05, temp 79F, salinity 1.024... Everything seem to be ok. I've added a new 7lb piece of LR to the tank a week ago. Could that have that contributed to his condition? He's been chewing on it for the past week (the algea that is...)

-Rob

Unni,

The temperature is pretty stable throughout the day: 78-79F. I'm starting to to think that taking the skimmer off line for couple of days has stressed him out.

-Rob

Guest alex wlazlak
(edited)

good luck with that neoen, tangs are pretty cool fish..hate to see another one die,i already had 2 die, on my 3rd, and he might just be a keeper!

Edited by alex wlazlak