bristle worms

paul b

Bristle worms, a few years ago these things were a sign of doom. We thought they would eat our corals, fish, TVs and I Pods.

Sometimes my reef is full of tiny ones and other times like now there are only a few giant ones. I just fed the tank with blackworms, mysis and pellets and I was watching the fish eat.

Did you ever see the original 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea starring Kirk Douglas? Ok maybe you are too young but there was this squid about a hundred feet long and it was eating this submarine.

That is a close cousin to the bristle worms I have in my tank.

There was a few pellets on the gravel and I noticed some movement, from 4 different places. All of a sudden four giant tentacles as large as my couch, Ok maybe a little smaller, emerged from the rock and battled each other for this one pellet. I mean they were fighting so hard that two pictures fell off my wall. It was scary. One worm finally swallowed the pellet in one gulp and the other three retreated but the scowl on their faces would scare the yellow off a canary. No really. I just thought I would share this with you. :blink:

Hmmm...did this happen around Tuesday say mid afternoon? :laugh:

Yeah the warms can be neat, but theres that voice in the back my head telling me they may overpopulate...

I think the main difference between now, when I only ever see what I think is the same worm in different parts of the tank, and about 7 years ago when I had a total grotesque infestation in my old tank, is that now I have sand instead of crushed coral. I would like to hear about whether or not crushed coral really does provide homes to greater populations of worms compared to sand... anyone care to comment on your experiences? Do I need to post a poll?

IME the worms aren't too adept at burrowing into LSBs, mostly rock and empty shells...i have had to work on a few overfed softie reefs with crushed coral and i noticed the crushed coral supported the proliferation of a worms. ive always just siphoned the dirt out of a large grain sand(pebble) bed and the bristleworms get sucked out too

My ~65 gallon fuge has a DSB, and I have TONS of bristleworms. I pretty rarely feed the fuge directly though (once a week and only to make sure the peppermint shrimp don't starve when the aiptasia is running low!)