Lowering the teeth on overflow with tank running.

Its a black acrylic overflow and I am wondering if lowering the gaps in the teeth with a dremol tool will hurt the tank if any of the hot plastic gets in it. After putting everything in the tank I realized one is a little lower than the other so this is the only way I can do it that I can think of, if anyone has a better idea let me know the lights are off today and I would like to fix it if possible.

I was thinking of taking some water out so I can catch what might fall in the tank side and suck out what falls in the overflow but I don't know if the "melting" or hot acrlyic will hurt the tank.

Should be fine. I'd put a filter sock on the overflow output to catch debris. Lower the water level or the dremel bit will just spray whatever water it contacts around. May need to siphon some of the debris from inside the tank. Maybe turn off power heads and other flow so the debris inside the tank doesn't get moved around as much before you siphon it out.

+1 to what Dave said, turn your powerheads and pumps off. You dont wantthose chips of plastic flowing around in the tank where a fish would try to eat it and possibly choke. I know my fish will just about try to eat anything that does in the water.