New to the forum / In search of new water supply

04svtfoci

Hi All,

My name is TJ, I have recently moved from Germantown, MD to the Hyattsville, MD area. I use to get my tank water from a mom and pop drinking water/filtration store in Germantown which was recommended by a fellow hobbyist and had always served my purpose for very little cost as i would fill up 25 gallons of water to keep for top off and changes every few weeks. Now that I have moved I am looking for a new source of water, or if nothing is available a temporary supply while I look into a RODI unit. Does anyone know of a source in my area? I have never bought water from the grocery store to use in my tank before could I use purified/spring water for a temp supply?

thanks in advance.

Tod, in the long run it's probably easier for you to get an RO/DI unit. There's often used ones for sale in the members section or you can visit one of our supporting sponsors and get one from them. As far as water in your area, I'm far away so don't know of any for you but there are members from there that might give you some guidance on a source.

I started with bottled distilled water and mixed my own SW for my 24 gallon until I was able to purchase an RO/DI unit. Bottled water worked fine for me. Purchasing enough water to fill the tank, then change water every week, and keep some already mixed was costly and no fun.

Get an RODI you will get a ton of savings. I used to go to a "aqaurium store to buy water" I used the same store for about 5 months until one day they had a problem and didn't inform me I had very bad results....This was a long time ago... I've had a RODI for 3 years and I will never go back.

First you need to test the tds of your water I didn't know what tds was until I learned to make my own water.

Second The gas savings even if you get a store thats 20 mins from home its still alot of gas in a year

Third you buy water and I cost about a 1/3 after filters.

Lastly you will no longer have to lug a 5 gallon jug out of the car.

There are negatives mainly startup and the fact that you need to pratice and a little water on the floor happens.

Plus if you use an rodi you can run your laundry machine on the waste water... It gets my cloths cleaner and resuses water.

I used to buy distilled water for my tank, before I got an RODI unit. The savings are immense, believe me.

Edited by treesprite