Newbie / Veteran

stankyd

Hello all,

I was in the hobby until 2009 when I moved to Northern Virginia from Fort Lauderdale Florida. Now that I am settled into a new place I am starting to get the bug again! Merely in the planning / drawing phases now.

I kept all my equipment and rock but sold the tank. Here are the pics i kept of my original 220g in-wall build. This was my 1st build ever and I was pretty happy with the way it turned out. Experienced tons of coral growth to the point I was giving it away to avoid having them kill each other.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davester1/

I would love to hear your opinions of fish stores and places for equipment in the springfield area.

StankyD.

Looks like your old system was nice, I look forward to seeing what you put together this time. How long did you have your moorish idol?

There is a link in the top, right corner "LFS Map" that shows most (maybe all) of the LFSs in the immediate area, I recommend starting there.

All of the club sponsors (the green push-pin shaped markers on the map) are top notch. I think Petland is the closest sponsor to you.

An equipment place that you may or may not have heard of is Avast, which is a local manufacturer of skimmers, reactors and similar type hardware, their equipment and customer service is excellent.

Finally, I recommend that you become a full member of wamas since it will allow you to access the for sale boards, and attend member events for no charge (speaking of which, we are driving to Pacific East Aquaculture this Saturday, which is a really great place with a huge selection... if you aren't doing anything you ought to join us).

Thanks Chad,

I had the moorish idol for about 9 months before tearing it all down. Depending upon the local availability/selection/prices of coral, I may go SPS or just lps/softies to allow for more variety of fish.

I appreciate the advice on the stores and will definitely join as a full member. I was pretty active in the club in Florida (FMAS). They had great frag swaps and alot of good speakers.

Good to meet you,

Dave

Looks like your old system was nice, I look forward to seeing what you put together this time. How long did you have your moorish idol?

There is a link in the top, right corner "LFS Map" that shows most (maybe all) of the LFSs in the immediate area, I recommend starting there.

All of the club sponsors (the green push-pin shaped markers on the map) are top notch. I think Petland is the closest sponsor to you.

An equipment place that you may or may not have heard of is Avast, which is a local manufacturer of skimmers, reactors and similar type hardware, their equipment and customer service is excellent.

Finally, I recommend that you become a full member of wamas since it will allow you to access the for sale boards, and attend member events for no charge (speaking of which, we are driving to Pacific East Aquaculture this Saturday, which is a really great place with a huge selection... if you aren't doing anything you ought to join us).