will my sps survive without mh for a while?

Guest ScubaTodd

Guest ScubaTodd

My mh fixture broke and i had to send back to the manfucaturer for repair. God knows how long it will take to get back. So i've put the old florescent 18W tube over my tank. Will my sps be able to survive this for very long? Thanks.

Post what you need, we'll try to help you out. I know I have a spare 250W ballast you can use. I MAY even have a mogul.

You can also go to Home Depot and pick up some of their utility shop lights. They have one (don't know the price) that comes with a 6500K bulb I believe. It's not much, but it's a bulb nonetheless that can double as a refugium bulb later on. It comes in a water resistant casing as well and is self contained with the ballast. Also, you can just buy a cheapo fixture and sit it on top with some bulbs as well. I'd lend you something but don't have anything to spare right now (unless you want a couple of fixtures I pulled out of my Eclipse 1 hoods - don't know the wattage or K rating of the bulbs, but I've got two of them).

Guest ScubaTodd

I have nothing anymore, I was using one of these:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...Coralife-halide

I don't have a hood or anything so I cant really retro a spare replacement. I will checkout this fixture from hd. But thank you for the offer eddi.

If you look at the picture, the big screw in the middle of the unit cracked, and when i came home the unit had all but fallen in the water. It was maybe 1.5" off the surface. Fortunately, for aesthetic reasons, I had duct taped the power cord to back of the tank and the duct tape was holding the unit up. Go Duct Tape! Pretty fortunate all things considered.

Guest ScubaTodd

Great. Well it seems in the past hour or so one branch of one of my new sps frags I got from dr.mac this past meeting is rtn'ing. I've had one bleach before, but I've never experienced rtn. Is it best to break off the affected branch?

Great.  Well it seems in the past hour or so one branch of one of my new sps frags I got from dr.mac this past meeting is rtn'ing.  I've had one bleach before, but I've never experienced rtn.  Is it best to break off the affected branch?

32025[/snapback]

Break it off so that it doesn't spread.

Guest ScubaTodd

thanks guys. I just picked up a 250W halogen clamp-on worlight at HD for 10$, you think this will do the trick? I couldnt find any info on the bulb.

The one I think you want is a Lights of America outdoor flood (fluorescent) - should run you about $40. The halogen will not be particularly effective - think of it like an incandescent bulb. A 100w incandescent is equivalent in light output to a 21W twisty flourescent.. plus the spectrum is all wrong... the LOA outdoor is supposed to be 6500K (though it doesn't say on the box) and I think it's 65w... it's a funny bulb, bigger base than a normal screw-type but smaller than a mogul.

Todd,

Where do you live?

I'm in Falls Church and you can temporarily bring your corals to my 90g tank?

I'm running 1-250w 14K bulb and 1-20K bulb and my corals are doing fine.

How many corals do you have?

I also have an extra mogul that needs the screw in piece fixed, but no ballast.

Could rig up depending on what size ballast you have?

Howard

I have the Lights of America outdoor flood light on my refuge and it has been excellent - not to mention inexpensive- and it is 6500 K at least it says so on the bulb. Got mine form Home Depot but had to go to a couple of HDs before I could find it. I have a 6500K florecent bulb in a normal screw in socket in a clipon fixture that I run over my phytoplankton under my tank in the cabinet- that is also an easy inexpensive fix- WHen it doesn't have to be pretty these inexpesive lights are the way to go- I think grav is probably the master of the inexpensive lighting route over his fuges with aluminum turkey pans as reflectors--

Guest ScubaTodd
I have the Lights of America outdoor flood light on my refuge and it has been excellent - not to mention inexpensive- and it is 6500 K at least it says so on the bulb. Got mine form Home Depot but had to go to a couple of HDs before I could find it. I have a 6500K florecent bulb in a normal screw in socket in  a clipon fixture that I run over my phytoplankton under my tank in the cabinet- that is also an easy inexpensive fix- WHen it doesn't have to be pretty these inexpesive lights are the way to go- I think grav is probably the master of the inexpensive lighting route over his fuges with aluminum turkey pans as reflectors--

32087[/snapback]

Well I picked up this LOA fixture, took some shopping around and a long "lunch break" though. anyway the one I found seemed pretty used and beat up and theres no instructions or anything with it. It looks fully assembled but theres no plug or anything, just a white and a black wire coming out the back? Not too sure what to do with this. Can i just cut the cord to shop light I bought and connect one end of the wire to the black and the other to the white? Thanks.

Guest ScubaTodd

I've now taken apart the shop light cord and have found a green black and white wire. I can figure what to do with the white and black, but what am I supposed to connect the green to on the LOA fixture?

Guest ScubaTodd

the light casing is plastic, do i even need to connect the green?

Guest ScubaTodd

well I went ahead and just twisted the whites and blacks with electrical tape and it works. doesnt seem super bright, is this the norm, or maybe a problem from not hooking up the green?

Green is a grounding wire. It helps to ground the fixture itself. If you have it wired to a three prong plug then it will be connected to the grounding plug. Otherwise you can connect it to any metal object that touches the ground. If you have a 2 prong plug, then you can just stick it into the third plug, but either way, it's OK to not use it, it's just not grounded.

wel now it its not bright in comparison to MH's and it has light sensor that has to be covered for it to come on in a lit up room - once it warms up it is a bit brighter- It is just a florescent bulb after all, but the 6500 should be the right wavelength to really help the corals- Works great on Macro- I am always pulling out hands full of chaeto.

Guest ScubaTodd

Thanks Lee, it definitely brightened up after 5 minutes or so :D I dont know if mine has a light sensor though, its on along with all the lights in the room. Seems to being the trick though, its scared the crud outa my fish, they've yet to come out of hiding.

Guest ScubaTodd

BTW, thanks Howard, I really appreciate the offer. I just figured if I could get this to work out it would be an easier solution. Once I get my fixture back I'll just be returning this, so it'll be nice and free too. Thanks again.

Guest ScubaTodd

Gee :unsure:

Now this is just ridiculous.

Of all the times for a company to have amazing customer service...

I mailed my damaged fixture to Coralife in south florida )without the bulb because the bulb was fine and I didnt want to risk damaging in shipping), UPS ground, on monday and today I got a brand new fixture... about 3 hrs after I picked up the LOA fixture. And not only did they give me a brand new fixture, they gave me a brand new bulb as well :D

I had actually just ordered a new bulb, Phoneix 14k, because I wanted more growth out of my corals than was happening with these 20k's. But I now have a brand new 20k Coralife bulb, and 2 month old XM 20k bulb, 150W DE for sale if anybody wants...

Thanks again.