Is my Sand Sifting Starfish dead?

B216adkins

My starfish has lost two legs. He rarely moves along the sand bed. He has been like this for 2 days. Please let me know

Sounds like an acclimation issue. Starfish can waste away due to any rapid changes in water chemistry (temperature, salinity, trace elements, pollutants, etc). For a starfish, any changes that take place over less than 8-12 hours can be fatal. It doesn't always happen right away and can take months to happen, but once they start to disintegrate it's usually the end for them. That said, I have had them recover if left alone, even after losing part of the central disc, but disintegration typically spells the end for them.

From the two I have had in the past it is slowly dieing. What size tank do you you have? I tried on two different occassions in my 90 with the same result. They do fine for a few months then slowly starve to dealth. I am not sure why the are not recommended for large tanks only.

I had one do exactly that in my first tank. If didnt make it. After doing somemore research, they can deplete a sand bed pretty quickly, which makes them difficult to keep even in a mautre system.

Hope it pulls through. Good luck.

Piggybacking on onux's reply, thats one of the reasons I started shying away from selling them to many of my customers. They can sometimes be tricky in well established systems once all the detritus and othe goodies for them are gone. Nassarius snails, conch snails(for larger tanks), and sand sifting gobies(with a top on your tank) are decent alternatives. Even some cucumbers work well, but depending on the size of your tank, could cause problems if one were to die. From experience I happen to know theyre not a fan of high nitrate neither, have you tested lately?

From the two I have had in the past it is slowly dieing. What size tank do you you have? I tried on two different occassions in my 90 with the same result. They do fine for a few months then slowly starve to dealth. I am not sure why the are not recommended for large tanks only.

I have a 12 gallon nano cube

Pick it up and smell it, you will know right away if it's dead.

:( yea he dead

Sorry to hear about your lost. Hopefully this was not recommended as critter to buy for a tank that size. It never stood a chance in a nano cube.