Can a 275 Gallon Tote be uncaged?

dcreefer

So I picked up a 275g IBC Tote and I would like to make it into a sump for my 300g tank.

I think I've seen a few other members do this before and I have questions...

Can I take the plastic tote out of the support cage? (with the cage it will not fit down my stairs or into the tank room) :blush:

Is the cage for stability when the totes are being stacked or can I fill it with water once it's been separated (if it can be separated)?

With it being plastic, I can move the tote down the stairs and place it snugly into the space between the tank and the wall (they would become the new "support")

Any help, suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

:clap:

The company that I have a contract with uses the same totes with acid in them. A couple years back they took the cage off and within a couple of days the tote busted open and it was only about 3/4 full. The cage is there to strength. If I was you I wouldn't take the risk.

Eric

Wow, busted open! That would be a nightmare...

Ok so has anyone removed the cage & then put it back together? Maybe I could get it down my stairway if it were not so big and bulky...

Thoughts?

6332a44e.jpg

Perhaps you could make your own support for it.

A couple ideas that I think would work:

That metal strapping tape they wrap pallets with

Nylon straps (can get them with ratchets, hooks, etc). Very strong and easily adjusted.

Lumber/screws?

Could you just cut off the top 12" of the tank and the cage so it's an open sump? You could put some rubber caps on the sharp edges of the cage after you cut it. I would cut the top off right above that big metal square in the front.

I'm intrested in how this turns out my friend has a pool and wants to collect rain water during the spring clornated it and feed warm water back in the summer.