Paint for inside canopy

steveoutlaw

The canopy that came with my tank is bare wood. My VHO actinics are arriving today and I'm going to want to install them soon. What is the best type of paint to use on the inside of a canopy? Also, how long do I need to let the paint dry before putting the canopy back on the tank?

Thanks.

What I do is go to home depot and find the returned paint rack, where a gallon of paint is $1, and find the lightest colored one they have since it will reflect the most light. Indoor/outdoor, gloss/matte, it all works fine. You aren't going to be looking at it inside the hood and it will all hold up just fine. Realistically, as soon as the paint is not gonna drip you can set it up on your tank, maybe as soon as 20 min? I think an hour would be plenty.

Guest what up

I would not paint inside the canopy if I were you. Use aluminum reflector or if you don't have one you can use the aluminum tape that use to taping up the hole for air duct. IME!

Why wouldn't you paint the inside of a canopy with a light colored paint?

Now then again, if you used light colored paint, would you still need lights?

I have reflectors for the halides and the actinics. I just wanted to paint the inside of the canopy while I had it off the tank to protect the wood........saltwater and wood don't go together too well.

Guest Keyoke

Iff'n yer worried about reflector coloring, I might point you here:

http://www.thekrib.com/Lights/reflectors.html#12

However, Iffn yer just worried about keeping the wood sealed against salt, go out and get some Marine Primer (stuff used on boats). The UV, and salt protection it'll impart is good stuff, plus you can get it in white, so anything that slips past the reflectors will get reflected...

-jeff

I'm just worried about the wood. I've got reflectors on the halides and will have reflectors on the VHO. I have a waterproof primer that I'm going to use and then put an external high gloss over that.

Jeff - did you get that live rock?

Painting to protect the wood, as well as add a bit more reflective surface sounds like a good idea to me. The returned paint rack is a good point too, when I pant in a dark color that will take several coats, I've used the $2 gallons on that rack as colored primer.

Paint (wet paint that is) can cause your skimmer to go nuts.

I've done a lot of painting in the house and even when its far from the tank, if I don't turn the skimmer down, for about a day, the skimmer can overflow.

Guest Keyoke
Jeff - did you get that live rock?

31868[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm going to pick some up tomorrow. :)

water/moisture does become an issue with time, so you need to coat it with something. I have used white glossy- recommended, IMO, and a blue marine (which helped with the yellow appearance of 6500K bulbs). Even with lots of alluminim flashing or whatever, you need to protect against moisture. Same could be achieved with an epoxy/ other clear finish, but if you want it to last a long time, definately coat it with something.

I used a waterproof sealant, I have a 3-MH and 2-VHO retro kit with hammertone reflector. I let it dry for 24 hours and it was fine.

Eric