New 90 Gal

Jarosh

Well we just got finished with the tank move and the work has only begun. The move went pretty well it only took about and hour and half to pack everything up and get it loaded in the trucks. The ride back got a little hairy when I lost half the water on route 29, boy were those people surprised. After getting back to my place it took about an hour just to scrape all that red and black algae off of the tank walls, power heads and such. For those I haven't already spoken to about the tank. I got one H-E-double hocky sticks of a price on this bad boy, but in return I have one large algae problem as well. The tank was not well maintained, best example of this would be the 4yr old MH bulbs, lack of any sizeable clean up crew, well enough said. So I've already placed my order for new bulbs and a cleanup crew order is in the works. I've already spent a decent amount of time brushing algae and picking off bubble algae from the rockwork. And of course with all neglected tanks there is the aptasia. I've already gone through the first round of juicing them. Otherwise there are 2 nice size carpet anemones and lots more room to add corals once everything else is taken care of.

Paul - sorry to hear about those pesky carpet anemones.......and two of them to boot! Wanna trade one for a nice sized torch frag???? :D

Good luck with the tank. Sounds like you're well on your way. Post some pics when you get a chance.

Steve

If you can, you should post some photos of the evolution of the tank. From algae bog to beauttiful reef. Good luck!

Well you guys asked for it, just check out the muck in this thing. The first is the pic I took when I first saw the tank and the second is it all set-up at my place. I decided to remove all the substrate, due to the undergravel filter. I tried to stop by the Sothern states store for some south down (AKA Yard right Tropicla play sand) but they were all out. So I'm going with the bare bottom for now, until I can finish the new stand and sump. As for the rocks I wasn't able to scrub them that clan so I flipped a bunch of them over to try and kill off that algae. So far my parameters are still in spec.

Here is the tank at it's old home.

IMG_0206.jpg

And here it is after a bit of scrubbing and with out the sand.

IMG_0208.jpg

Boy these Astrea snails really love this red/dark green algae. I only have 10 of them in there and they are really putting a dent in the remaining algaebut there aren't enough of them to really take care of it. Hopefully when I get in my cleaning crew they will erradicate this nasty stuff.

Looking good Paul

How many tanks are you up to now, i'm sticking with 2 for the time being

How are those Montipora frags doing?

Please keep us updated

Anton

Paul,

Aquaticsline.Com has RED TIPPED LEG Crabs that do very well on Cyano Bacteria and Green Algae. Found them to be better then Blue/Red Legs for cleaning.

If you have a 90g, I would add about 4-5 Emerald Crabs..I know Mike hates them, but I've found them to be worth their weight in gold!

Howard

BTW, I'll have to give you a call when I need MY TANK cleaned, good job!

Hey Anton, I'm at 2 tanks for now but plan on consolidating them all into the 90 gal eventually. The 90 was just too good of a deal to pass up. As for the frags surprisingly they are growing like weeds under the PC's. I can't wait to get them under the MH of the 90 gal. That is when I get some decent bulbs, the guy was using industrial MH's along with shop light bulbs. No wonder the algae took over.

Looking good Paul

How many tanks are you up to now, i'm sticking with 2 for the time being

How are those Montipora frags doing?

Please keep us updated

Anton

32138[/snapback]

Guest Tomsimtim
(edited)

Congratulations on your new tank. I am getting ready to move my tank from one room to another. My wife talked to a neighbor and found hardwood floors under the carpet. Lucky me! :huh: I was wondering if you had any words of wisdom or knew of any specific pitfalls to avoid regarding moving livestock and the aquarium?

Thanks

Tim Shepard.

Edited by Tomsimtim

As far as the tank move goes, just get a few trash cans, a tarp and a good pump. The pump does wonders for moving a lot of water.

Also received my Hello Lights order today and the new (aquarium grade) metal halides and actinics are great. I"m going to start getting the tank on a good light cycle now vs the 3hrs a day with those crappy algae bulbs.

Guest Tomsimtim

I had not thought of the tarp. Thanks.

Tim :D

As far as the tank move goes, just get a few trash cans, a tarp and a good pump.  The pump does wonders for moving a lot of water.

Also received my Hello Lights order today and the new (aquarium grade) metal halides and actinics are great.  I"m going to start getting the tank on a good light cycle now vs the 3hrs a day with those crappy algae bulbs.

32317[/snapback]

A few thoughts:

Plan ahead so that you have enough room total in tubs or buckets for the livestock and L/R because you don't want the corals to bang into each other.

Keep softies separately because they'll exude toxins into the water when stressed and the close quarters will then stress anything that was fine.

Pump the remaining water into as many NEW trash cans as you need to empty the tank. You'll need a friend to help hold the hose while you are working so that you don't have water all over the place even with the tarp.

And buy enough cheap clear hose at Lowes so that you can pump the water back into the tank from wherever the trash cans are sitting, instead of dragging full cans of water around the house. That's a real pain otherwise.

-FF

Sure you don't want to setup an External Sump while you're at it?!?!

Tim,

We just moved my 90g tank about 10 feet a couple of months ago. How big is your tank? Where do you live? How far do you need to move the tank?

Howard

Just an update. The new clean up crew is working wonders on this red algae. Both the emerald crabs and Astrea snails are eating it like no tomorrow, with a little direction of course. If the snails had it thier way they would be surfing the glass, but a few times a day I'm relocating ~20 each time to the really bad rocks. And so far the work release program is working. I'm going to start moving the rocks around to make sure they get both sides. I haven't started aquascaping as of yet, that will happen in a few weeks once my new stand and Sump are built. Until then it will be polishing off this algae.