Xenia does not look good

squiddly

Two week old xenia seems quite unhappy. Anyone have any ideas?post-1002-131024627006_thumb.jpg

Do a water test for nitrite, ammonia, nitrate, and even test your salinity. Haven't you lost a couple fish? Have you removed them, or did a clean up crew at least eat them?

Do a water test for nitrite, ammonia, nitrate, and even test your salinity. Haven't you lost a couple fish? Have you removed them, or did a clean up crew at least eat them?

All water parameters are good. Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0. Salinity 1.022. KH 9.3, Alkalinity 3.3. The fish I lost were immediately removed (or removed himself in one case). I do very frequent water changes, and have backup filtration. I have 10 lbs of live rock, 1.5 inches of live sand, all other corals, fish, crabs, shrimp look fine.

I think the blue spot never acclimated properly. He was hyperventilating when he arrived, and continued to do so until we lost him. The diamond gobi jumped out. The goniapora I was having trouble with has fluffed right back up.

I tried to put up photos, but am having trouble figuring out how to make a gallery for this tank. I'll keep trying.

This is a dumb question, I've heard of people having trouble with xenia if their tanks are too clean my guess would be that some corals would be the same way what are you using to control your nitrates?

This is a dumb question, I've heard of people having trouble with xenia if their tanks are too clean my guess would be that some corals would be the same way what are you using to control your nitrates?

I'm using frequent water changes to control the nitrates. I haven't had to use anything else as yet. Trying to avoid additives, etc.

Whats your lighting/flow. What kind of xenia are we talking about. I can't tell from the picture, but its its pusling and its in high flow it won't pulse. I've also heard of some types of shrimp eating it.

All water parameters are good. Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0. Salinity 1.022. KH 9.3, Alkalinity 3.3. The fish I lost were immediately removed (or removed himself in one case). I do very frequent water changes, and have backup filtration. I have 10 lbs of live rock, 1.5 inches of live sand, all other corals, fish, crabs, shrimp look fine.

I think the blue spot never acclimated properly. He was hyperventilating when he arrived, and continued to do so until we lost him. The diamond gobi jumped out. The goniapora I was having trouble with has fluffed right back up.

I tried to put up photos, but am having trouble figuring out how to make a gallery for this tank. I'll keep trying.

Hmm, maybe raise your salinity up to 1.025 since it's a reef tank and not fowlr? I don't think that's causing any problems though.

What is your phosphate level? I never tested phosphate than got a hanna checker. My levels were much higher than I would have though despite nitrates at less than 5. I added some BRS GFO, and that helped bring them down.

What is your PH? If it's too low that could expain the bluespot not taking well?

In regards to pictures set up an account with flickr or one of the like. Link pictures with the bb code on here. It's free and easy.

Goodluck

Whats your lighting/flow. What kind of xenia are we talking about. I can't tell from the picture, but its its pusling and its in high flow it won't pulse. I've also heard of some types of shrimp eating it.

Its an aquapod 24 with stock sunpaq lighting, upgraded pump for more flow, and extra filtration. It has moderate flow now. The Xenia is not pulsing. I have 3 peppermint shrimp.

Hmm, maybe raise your salinity up to 1.025 since it's a reef tank and not fowlr? I don't think that's causing any problems though.

What is your phosphate level? I never tested phosphate than got a hanna checker. My levels were much higher than I would have though despite nitrates at less than 5. I added some BRS GFO, and that helped bring them down.

What is your PH? If it's too low that could expain the bluespot not taking well?

In regards to pictures set up an account with flickr or one of the like. Link pictures with the bb code on here. It's free and easy.

Goodluck

Hmm, don't know the phosphate level. I haven't tested for it.

I was going to use picassa for photos, until I found out that if you're a Google+ user, and you share photos, those you share them with can reshare and you can't turn it off. And they can see everyone you've shared them with. I'll have to find an alternative, or post them to my own server.

So its blue xenia or another type?

The peppermints are the ones I was talking about I've heard people loosing xenia to them.

The type of xenia is very important for instance I can grow pulsing xenia day and night, but blue xenia is a lot harder in some tanks.

If it was me I'd go in at night with a flash light and see if the peppermints were picking on it. I had xenia growing like a forest in my biocube back in the day.

There are like 6 types of xenia do you know what kind it is?

It looks like blue xenia and mine started to go when the phosphates went up. I would say you should test for them. The blue xenia I is the harder to keep and grows a little slower from my experience. Does the picture show your unhappy xenia? Pretty sure thats what blue xenia is supposed to look like. Unless it was a bigger piece and its getting smaller or its another type of xenia I wouldn't worry as long as your levels are good.

So its blue xenia or another type?

The peppermints are the ones I was talking about I've heard people loosing xenia to them.

The type of xenia is very important for instance I can grow pulsing xenia day and night, but blue xenia is a lot harder in some tanks.

If it was me I'd go in at night with a flash light and see if the peppermints were picking on it. I had xenia growing like a forest in my biocube back in the day.

There are like 6 types of xenia do you know what kind it is?

I don't know what kind it is unfortunately.

It looks like blue xenia and mine started to go when the phosphates went up. I would say you should test for them. The blue xenia I is the harder to keep and grows a little slower from my experience. Does the picture show your unhappy xenia? Pretty sure thats what blue xenia is supposed to look like. Unless it was a bigger piece and its getting smaller or its another type of xenia I wouldn't worry as long as your levels are good.

The tops seemed to be shortened from what they were when I got it, which is what worried me. I'll pick up a phosphate kit hopefully today and let you know the readings. Thanks for everyone's help.

(edited)

I also heard from somewhere -- I don't recall where, so can't vouch for authoritativeness -- that xenia also need a tad more iodine than many other corals. I've supplemented with some since then and my pulsing xenia look better, but I would be hesitant to draw a direct correlation because I've also been changing some of the other parameters in my tank (flow patterns etc.). I also have to be careful not to overdo it because I can't test for iodine, and more isn't necessarily better. But I thought I should mention it.

Edited by LCDRDATA

Where did you get the xenia from? Its very pretty I would think its blue xenia... and if it is you got a huge peice...

I also heard from somewhere -- I don't recall where, so can't vouch for authoritativeness -- that xenia also need a tad more iodine than many other corals. I've supplemented with some since then and my pulsing xenia look better, but I would be hesitant to draw a direct correlation because I've also been changing some of the other parameters in my tank (flow patterns etc.). I also have to be careful not to overdo it because I can't test for iodine, and more isn't necessarily better. But I thought I should mention it.

That makes sense. I have some to supplement with. I'll try a bit of that. Thanks.

Where did you get the xenia from? Its very pretty I would think its blue xenia... and if it is you got a huge peice...

I got it from my favorite Koi shop :-) BRK.