DC Area Woodshop

Steve Bory

I would like to cut some acrylic sheet but I don't have access to a table saw. Does anyone know of a wood shop in or near the city where I could rent time in a wood shop? I'm assuming I can use regular wood blades to cut the acrylic, but it won't mess up their blades or anything will it?

I'm in Logan Circle. I'm making a small reservoir to hold water for an ATO. I want it to be really small (8"x8"x12") so it will fit in my tiny little stand for my 12 gallon cube. It doesn't need to be too pretty, but it needs to hold water. Any ideas?

I'm not exactly sure where that is. I'm in Alexandria and have a table saw with an 80 tooth blade I have used for acrylic in the past. I do need to get it out again for a project of my own.

For a water tight container, I think you need to route the edges before assembling. That I can't help you with.

Hmm. I haven't read that you have to router the edges before. I figured it I couldn't get a water tight seam with Weld-On #4, I could just run a thick line of Weld-On #16 down the seams and it would hold. Then again, I've never done this before so i really have no idea. I figured with such a small container, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I also live in dc but I don't know where you can rent a saw really. For my acrylic works I use frame shops. They cut pieces of glass or UV acrylic for me to order before. I am sure some framing shop can help you out with your own pieces. They might even let you get in with the action. Just an idea...

Hmm. I haven't read that you have to router the edges before. I figured it I couldn't get a water tight seam with Weld-On #4, I could just run a thick line of Weld-On #16 down the seams and it would hold. Then again, I've never done this before so i really have no idea. I figured with such a small container, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Maybe I'm wrong though.

You need the edge to be perfectly smooth to make a good bond between the pieces. I thought it had to be routed, but I've not done it myself. I could be wrong. Naga built my top off container.

Not sure what you mean by "near the city" since "near" is completely relative, especially in this area, but one of my favorite places in Rockville called Woodcraft does rent out shop time.

Not sure what you mean by "near the city" since "near" is completely relative, especially in this area, but one of my favorite places in Rockville called Woodcraft does rent out shop time.

Yeah. I guess I was a bit vague there. I just know there are people in the club that live really far from the city. I've got a car so I can really go anywhere I need to go. Good call on Woodcraft. I wouldn't have guessed that they rent shop time from their website. I'll give them a call.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Yeah. I guess I was a bit vague there. I just know there are people in the club that live really far from the city. I've got a car so I can really go anywhere I need to go. Good call on Woodcraft. I wouldn't have guessed that they rent shop time from their website. I'll give them a call.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I bought a table saw last month to cut acrylic for my DIY frag raceways. I have yet get the correct blade for it since it needs something called a "triple chipgrind" blade that I think has 60-80 teeth on it. Home Depot/Lowes do not sell a blade like this so I have to get it off the internet... again. I live in Urbana MD so it is maybe too far from you. Let me know if you want to come by. I do need to buy the blade and some acrylic for my needs and making cuts should be quite easy