ASM skimmer question

epleeds

What is the optimal depth for the skimmer to be run at in the sump? Not sure what version it is, it's for a tank the I maintain for a friend.

I currently having it running at 8" depth. The foam head is just at the top of the neck and the adjustment tube is all the way up. I cant seem for the life of me to get the bubbles to push up the neck into the collection cup.

Have you checked the impeller? They seem to damage easily if something comes in contact with them.

You could try easing the water level an inch.

I personally have never owned one, but have just tinkered with a few.

the skimmer is pretty jacked up. I have told them that they might need to replace it, i am just trying to keep them from having to spend some cash at the moment. we will see how long it will last.

thanks

IME, ASMs have a few days break in period when they're new, just been cleaned or have sat dry for a while. Also they perform better in less water than in more so I would suggest raising it an inch at a time on an eggcrate platform with lengths of pvc pipe for legs after you've given it four days to a week for break in. I also second what the previous poster said about checking the impeller to make sure you're getting full performance. As much as I like the ASMs, those sedra pumps suck. HTH.

With my mini-g, I have to clean out the parts in front of the skimmer pump every time I empty the cup. If I don't do that, the performance is like what you are describing.

The stand pipe is up to the bottom of the collection cup. That's been that way since I got it.

Also, depending on how old the skimmer is, some of the parts may have come unglued. Some super glue will fix that. Mine is about 5 years old now and im still using the original pump. It sits in about 10" of water.