Generator Question- saving fuel over long periods of time

L8 2 RISE

Is there some sort of chemical that you can put into the fuel tank of a generator in order to keep the gas fresh? I feel like I've seen someone on here talking about it, however I didn't have a generator at the time. It's been a while since I've used the gen, so went to try and drain the fuel and it appears to be near impossible, so it would be easier if something like this existed. Anyone know?

Fuel stabilizer - available in the automotive dept in every big box store and auto parts store. Also, if you aren't planning to use the fuel up quickly, always fill it up with the highest octane gas you can - this also helps the gas last longer.

(edited)

the main concern with keeping fuel long term right now is ethanol, its sucks.. it will gum up just about everything if left for too long.

I use Seafoam, their new formula has ethanol highligted in green.

I still strongly suggest turning the fuel cut off to off and running the generator out of gas. if your going to store it for a really long time i would suggest draining it and just keep a couple gallons on hand, swap it out every so often and just put it in the car (generators love higher octane for the most part but is not necessary at all)

there are a few other, stabil marine and a couple other

also the fuel you buy in the winter generally has a higher actual octane that what you buy in the summer. just a litte known fact for you as the gas companies change the fuel mixtures for different temps.

Edited by Der ABT

Most manufacturers say you can use twice the amount for longer term storage but +1 on removing it completely. You generator (also lawnmower, snowblower, etc) will thank you for it. I use this stuff.

post-2632705-130835732159_thumb.jpg