emerald crab?

Guest alex wlazlak

Guest alex wlazlak

i have an emerald crab(or atleast i think so) and i looked in the tank and hes upside down.... :angry: so i take it out and look at him, and it looked like he was trying to shed, but the the top of his shell wasnt completly off...he doesnt look like hes moving and i just put him back in the tank for untill tommorow to see if itll be alright. anyone know why he couldnt shed proberly?

i have an emerald crab(or atleast i think so) and i looked in the tank and hes upside down.... :angry: so i take it out and look at him, and it looked like he was trying to shed, but the the top of his shell wasnt completly off...he doesnt look like hes moving and i just put him back in the tank for untill tommorow to see if itll be alright. anyone know why he couldnt shed proberly?

31258[/snapback]

you might have interupted its shed. leave it alone for a bit when it happens it happens real fast, if it is a shed gone wrong then its a goner. what could have caused it is water parameters, nutrient supliments in the tank, like calcium, iodine and others, or even bad genes.

i thought i had a dead one one day and it was just the carapace. kinda kewl. HTH gary

Guest Keyoke

31258[/snapback]

I know that crustaceans such as shrimp, crab, lobster, etc. require trace levels of Iodine to shed properly, but I don't recall what the level is off hand. Run a test and see.. I wouldn't go adding giant drops of iodine to the water...

I had to do some digging, but I believe that the recommended levels are in the 0.06 to 0.08mg/L range.

I've got 5 mithrax now and have had 5 more over the years.

Never seen one molt, but I've been around blue claws a lot and if you see him looking like he is "half molted" its prolly that he just died. No way to know the cause, but soon after a crab dies, the shell kinda loosens up and falls off.

sorry :o(

Guest alex wlazlak

i found out that its dead!i got home from school and he was still there, and you could tell he was dead...i heard that if the iodine is low it doent work properly, how does that work?i also had a cleaner shrimp which also too died, which pissed me off cause it was $20.....but yeah he was definitly trying to shed its shell. anyone know how the iodine effects it please post.

Guest maestro774

I saw what looked like one of my emeralds sprawled out on his back underneath a rock and was sure he was dead. It turns out it was just a molt. The shell looks exactly like the full crab. He was back to his normal self a few days later and surprised the H-E-double hocky sticks out of me. Cleaner shrimp shells don't look much like the live shrimp, so I would guess that one is actually dead.

Guest alex wlazlak

i dont think that it was its molt :( .i have been having a few problems with my tank for awhile now and i think im going to try and get a 80-90 gallon tank soon, with all the goods! i have a 55 gallon now...i got some pictures too the yellow polyps are almost all gone the pulsing xenia is gone and the nice pic is like a mounth earlyer and those polyps are gone too :( . but i got some other ones now, and all the green is there too.

post-572-1115950739_thumb.jpg

post-572-1115950756_thumb.jpg

post-572-1115950792_thumb.jpg

post-572-1115950819_thumb.jpg