Getting rid of corraline for FW conversion

Guest maestro774

Guest maestro774

I want to convert my old SW nanocube to FW, but it has a good amount of corraline on the back. Is there an easy way to get rid of this besides scraping? Would it even hurt the FW fish to leave it there?

Guest clownfish4

Why in the world would you do such a thing!!!

Guest maestro774

I was waiting for that reply! Anyways, we have some fancy goldfish that are outgrowing the small tank they're in, and I already upgraded to a 90g, so I figured why not.

FW kills corriline dead... then it shoud just flake off. Vinigar should help disolve it away while going easy on the acrylic. Also, skimmers stop working in FW.

Still a FW reef tank with goldfish? I don't get it. Are you trying to cure Ick?

Guest maestro774

I'll try the vinegar.

It's just going to be a plain old FW tank, I will not be using anything from a reef in there, unless there's reefs with blue pebbles and plastic plants.

vinegar works wonders to really soften it up, start it breaking down. then just scrape away. I wouldn't worry too much about a little being left behind. Would only break down over time as buffer- and I believe goldfish like harder water?

Hmmm that is odd, a plain old FW Reef tank, with goldfish and no reef stuff?

Just teasing, sorry.

Guest maestro774
Hmmm that is odd, a plain old FW Reef tank, with goldfish and no reef stuff?

Just teasing, sorry.

31136[/snapback]

I know, it's pretty boring. It was either this or a seahorse tank, which the nanocube is a little too small for. Plus the 90g is taking up a lot of my time and I really didn't want to deal with another reef tank. This one will house the wife's goldfish that are packed like sardines in their current tank.