DIY Skimmer

Guest Keyoke

Guest Keyoke

Hola peeps,

I'm starting to think I need to come up with a replacement skimmer for the one I busted when my tank foamed over last weekend. Figured I'd try the DIY route, just because it sounds like something fun to do.

Anyone have a decent set of plans? I know there's a lot of DIY downdrafts out there in WAMAS land, and that's what I've been thinking about...

Are there pros and cons to the various skimmer types? (Becket, Venturi, downdraft, airstone, etc) .

Which ones are easy to build for a first-timer? What's the cost associated with 'em, and what kinds of tools would I need? Where do I get the parts, etc, etc, etc.

I'll start digging on the 'net for some plans and the like, but I figured I'd ask here too, since y'all are so darn frendly. :) I'm limited space wise to what'll fit under a 90G tank, and my sump isn't drilled (hence the gravity feed idea). I'm worried about the bioball-media-water-chopper-column on a downdraft with the low height requirements..

-jeff

#1 - Air driven counter currents can be some of the most effecient skimmers....but...to be effective they need to be tall, probably not the best in your case.

#2 - Becketts are very effective & don't have to be tall....but...they require a big honking pumps to run.

#3 - Needlewheel - effective & low energy use....but...the pump can cost a bit. The truly effective pumps cost quite a bit (and Eheim is about $200).

#4 - Venturi models aren't as effective as needle wheels but they can made fairly easily.

#5 - Spray injection, similar to becketts in construction but require you to fabricate an injector.....and...they can be touchy to adjust.

If you want to DIY a skimmer I suggest looking @ the DIY section on ReefCentral there are threads there about building every type of skimmer. Also , check with BarrAquatics & MyReefCreations - they sell DIY parts for skimmers. Brent sells pre-made flanges which are arguably the most difficult part of a DIY skimmer.

BarrAquatics

My Reef Creations

Personally I checked into it & found that by the time I bought the acylic tubing & all the fittings I was real close in price to some of the budget model needlewheels (such as ASM).

I know how to make the injector for a spray type skimmer, if you come by I can show you how it's done. It used to be on RC but AquaC frowned on duplication of their patent & the info isn't as easy to find.

I think I have diagrams for a spray injection skimmer. This is the type Erik was speaking about on making the injector. Shoot me an e-mail and I will reply to you with it. I also have a template for flanges that I can shoot your way too.