lighting question

Sonnyg

I have a quick question. Im looking for opinions and or facts. I am currently using a hamilton fixture (3X400W MH, 2X 160W VHO actinics) over my 220. 72X24X30. mostly SPS. I am going to change to lumenarc3 reflectors. My question is,based on anyones prior experience How high should I mount the Bulb to top of the water?

Thank you in advance,

Sonny

3x250w's at about 12-13" over the top.

I also use 4x160w 03's.

If I had to do it over, I might have gotten the minis and had more room to hang the 03's

closer to the middle.

My tank is same as yours.

Thank you for the help. Based on the canopy I have now, if I mount the lumenarcs on top the bulbs should be 14-15" above the water. I hear what you are saying about the space for the VHO. Its going to be tight. I just never thought I was getting all the light I should have from the hamilton fixture.

I have 3 400W MH with Lumbenbright mini pendants over my 210, same dimensions as yours. They are 16" above the water. Gives me the right amount of spread.

I also have the lumenbright minis but on a 120 and they are 15" above the water. There was a thread on R2R that compared different reflectors(lumenarcs and lumenbrights). The lumenbright minis had the best par numbers.

The nice thing is with this reflector is I do not have any heat transfer to my tank. And they are only 16"x16". Which should leave room for any supplement lighting.

Don't know if it's the same thread as the one I read but the lumenbrights provided a more downward focused light as opposed to the lumenarcs. This meant that the light was brighter (hence higher par numbers) and you could raise the light higher above the water without as much spillover of the light. Also by raising the lights higher, there is less heat transfer. The lumenarcs were developed for plants and adopted by the marine hobby. This means there are some aspects where the lumenarcs have issues for reefing.

That having been said, it's still a better reflector than most!