Moorish Idol

daharley

Looking for good orbad experiance with keeping them.I know they say stay away but have heard others say they have had no problems. Very appealing fish :).

Looking for good orbad experiance with keeping them.I know they say stay away but have heard others say they have had no problems. Very appealing fish :).

They are for extremely experienced people only. If you can get them past a few weeks 9 mos is the next milestone. Many drop dead there. If you're extra lucky you can get them to 2 years. Over 2 years is extremely rare. They do not adapt to captive life well.

If you like the moorish idol, you may be interesed in a "false moorish idol" or Heniochus Diphrutes butterfly. They're a bit easier to keep and have a similar look:

heniochus_diphreutes.jpg

Compared to the real thing:

Moorish_idol.jpg

Best I saw was gatortailale with one that lasted about 9 months to a year. Ate a lot of nori from what I recall. I did not have such a good experience. IMO they should probably be left to the sea- regret my attempt. I will not try another. Maybe the latest "tank raised" craze will produce some more positive results though.

I too love the Moorish Idol and have tried to raise them...unsuccessfully. They are so beautiful and regal. If someone was offering tank rised ones I'd pay big buck$ for it.

but have heard others say they have had no problems. Very appealing fish .

If you consider a year, good luck then thats the problem. I have had many of them and the longest was almost 5 years, which stinks. I went to Tahiti mainly to dive with them and learn their secrets. I think I have but it is still not easy. It is not food, they all eat. All I saw them eat in the sea is lime green sponge and they travel in pairs. The male finds the sponge and the female follows a few minutes later to feed.

I collect local NY sponge to feed them and they love it. But if you don't live near living sponge, it will be harder.