Purple Algae Disappearing

B216adkins

Some of the purple algae that was in my tank is disappearing why? One rock was completly covered and now its only have covered. I only have two small snails. The only supplements I put in the tank are liquid calcium and essential elements. Whats going on is something wrong.

A few different things can cause that, we are going to need some more info.

Potential causes are imbalance (especially with kH) in the calc/kH/mag relationship

Too much light

Too few or too much nutrients

Something (like an urchin) is eating it

I remember you were upgrading the lighting on your tank, what light did you end up with? What are your most recent test results? Do you have urchins?

If you're only adding calcium & essential elements, they your alk and ca are probably out of balance. Your Ca may also be low.

Brandon, you should take a water sample to one of the local stores. Have them test to see where your parameters are at (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Alk, Calc, Phosphate, and Mag). Maybe pick up some test kits based on what they find. It is my understanding you only have soft corals? If this is the case you should not add any additional calcium to your water. Just be sure to keep up on small weekly water changes. You may need to do a couple big ones to get your parameters back in check.

How often / how much of the essential elements and liquid calcium are you adding right now?

Brandon, you should take a water sample to one of the local stores. Have them test to see where your parameters are at (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Alk, Calc, Phosphate, and Mag). Maybe pick up some test kits based on what they find. It is my understanding you only have soft corals? If this is the case you should not add any additional calcium to your water. Just be sure to keep up on small weekly water changes. You may need to do a couple big ones to get your parameters back in check.

How often / how much of the essential elements and liquid calcium are you adding right now?

Soft corals use calcium too. Their internal structures are composed of calcium.

If you're going to stay in this hobby, invest in good test kits like Salifert and test your water on a weekly basis to establish a baseline. Dose 2 part or 3 part daily and test for results. You have a new tank and I'm sure your params are out of whack. The rock probably came from someplace that had stable water chemistry and you're now seeing the effects that your tank is having on the coralline algae.

Don't do big water changes either. Small, regular water changes are the best course of action towards stable water parameters.

I only added a half of teaspoon of both to the water.

If you're only adding calcium & essential elements, they your alk and ca are probably out of balance. Your Ca may also be low.

What other supplements should I add to the water?

What other supplements should I add to the water?

Ca and Alk should always be added in equal parts. You usually need to add Mg as well. Most everything else is replenished during water changes. As was suggested, be sure you're testing both Alk and Ca (never add what you're not testing for) to be sure they're balanced.