Need a chiller??

steveoutlaw

My tank temp has been consistently going up to 85F. I don't want to kill everything in it so it looks like I need a chiller unless someone has another idea. I'm all ears.

My tank temp has been consistently going up to 85F.  I don't want to kill everything in it so it looks like I need a chiller unless someone has another idea.  I'm all ears.

30584[/snapback]

Steve,

Do you already use fans? I've got fans blowing through my hood to move all that hot air away from the water. Another fan blows at the water's surface to increase evaporation, which also lowers the tank's temperature. I have no problem keeping my tank at 78F, even when my MH are on.

Jon

I tried the same thing, I have a 240 gallon with 3-400w 14k MH and 2-140watt VHO and my temp was going from 78 to 85 every day, so I put 4-5" fans in my canopy,2 blowing in and 2 out, and yes it helped alittle but still stayed around 81. So I broke down and bought an 1/2 HP chiller and now it is a steady 75/76 degrees all the time with the lights on or off and also the evaporation rate droped to almost nothing. In my opinion, they are worth every penny.

Eric

I tried the same thing, I have a 240 gallon with 3-400w 14k MH and 2-140watt VHO and my temp was going from 78 to 85 every day, so I put 4-5" fans in my canopy,2 blowing in and 2 out, and yes it helped alittle but still stayed around 81.

Huh. I run my tank at 80-81 night and day.

This is not a cure all, esp for that many 400 Watt MH's- But putting the fan on the sump area to increase evaporation did far more for my cooling than putting four small fans in the canopy. One 8 inch clip on el-cheapo fan over my sump increased my evap from less that a gallon a day to over 1.5 gallons per day and lowered my temp from 79-83 night and day temp ot 77-80. I raised the height of the clip-on fan and got a happy medium of 78-81. And the evap rate to 1 gallon- Removed the canopy fans and did not notice any change at all. So All I run is just the el- cheapo clip-on over the sump and no noise-----