Live mysid shrimp

Swimboy123

I came across a website today at reed-mariculture.com and found that they have live mysid shrimp for sale. It seemed a bit expensive for a daily feeder, but has anyone had a successfuly refugium with mysis? The website states that they live on zooplankton but will turn cannabilistic if there is not enough food. I'm sure amphipods and copepods could fit the bill as well. Has anyone tried this?

I think those are more geared towards folks that have set up a more elaborate culture setup for mysis. Something that allows a breeding stock of mysis and allows offspring to flow to a different area for fortification before they (parents) turn cannible.

That's what I was thinking as well. But then thoughts of a thriving mysis population in my refugium got me thinking about options. One thing that I would not want would be to decimate the other populations that are already there. Think it would be worth a try?

Guest thefishman65

I took a quick look and the mysis I saw one that site are harvested from FRESHWATER. I don't know how lont they would survive. Anyone?

PE mysis are freshwater, there are both freshwater and saltwater species of mysids.

I had a great article about culturing saltwater mysis that was available from here, but it appears to have been taken down and replaced by this (which is not as good as the original article on the basis of pictures and descriptions, but it does appear to be useful).

Guest thefishman65

Yes, apparently I found the freshwater firstand the sire has both.