LTA found the heater

Jager

for those of you with anemones,

my giant sized lta (8-12inches open) decided to get moving for w/e reason, and found himself the heater I do not know how exactly, but he was still stuck to it when I removed him. one side of his body is now burned mush due to his escapade..

I checked and the oral disk, the foot itself and the rest of it are ok. (and I reenforced and moved the heater/heater cover to attempt to prevent this again). I also checked and while the tentacles on the non burned side are obviously deflated, they are stickier then all get out, so the anemone is still kicking. I know the burned area will slough off and need to be cleaned/removed (which I will do tomorrow) but should I give it another 24 hours to try and pull through? or just pull it and save the possible jellying of the tank?

either way, guess the avast skimmer I just bought/got tuned is gonna get a hefty workout. I'll post on that later.

as an update, the anemone is holding on, abet it has turned most of the burned portion away from the flow, (and towards where i can see) so I have to wait for the lights to come on normally to see how it responds. I am still weighing just pulling it, so if anyone has any opinions or has survivors from a similar incident feel free to post them up.

I would wait to pull it but it is easy to say that as I haven't seen it first hand. If it starts to smell then toss it. I have had LTA's survive lateral dissection before but they are not as tough as BTA's in regards to rejuvenation. Good luck!

after further inspection and a bit of flow pointed toward it the anemones main structures are fine with the exception of the outer pedal disc on one side. the mouth is already closed fully, and the side that is burned is certainly a mess, but isnt sloughing off material/nematocysts like last night, there is hope for recovery here, just keeping things stable, and keeping my hand outa the tank

(edited)

Yet another reason to put the heater in the sump or overflow.

the heater "should" have been covered, not entirely sure how the anemone got to it in an area that it has never "walked" to before, but I was keeping a heater in the main tank to ensure if the gfci tripped the tank wouldn't get too cold (heater on another outlet). went ahead and filled the area the anemone got into and moved the heater back to the overflow, i know they walk, but it took me by surprise given that its foot was firmly locked to the glass under the sand that day.

I will keep this updated as it progresses, and now that i have a workable point and shoot camera i will try to get some photos. once i know it will make it through the night.

Edited by Jager

I imagine it will make a nice recovery. Once established, they tend to be pretty tough and can take a few rough shots.

Cheers

Mike

Sometimes an anemone will split when injured, one anemone will be the dead/damaged tissue, and the other the healthy stuff. So if it does split, you need to find the dead one and toss it. I suggest a tuperware container UNDER THE WATER, get anemone in, and close. This can help avoud the smell in your room. Ive had anemone's and stars stink a room for weeks...I would toss the container in the trash, wrapped in a bag. Its nasty stuff so I hope the anemone heals and you never have that happen!

Best of luck, and Im sorry to hear that the anemone got hurt...

(edited)

yeah I always wrap anything dead in plastic. I actually keep the plastic bags the LFS puts fish/inverts in incase they perish to ensure they are safely sealed away. the bacteria issues alone are bad enough to not do a wrap, let alone the anemone jellying. the smell is horrendous to say the least when they actually die.

checked on it again and did another gentle hand waving near it debridement of the dead side, its gotten a bit worse, so hoping i am catching it before it spreads, the mouth was gaping and the anemone had flipped upside down, turned him over as well so another 2 hours and i may have to pull him.

Edited by Jager

Couldn't you just cut it in half or something to try to save at least the uninjured side? People do "frag" these things.

yeah I always wrap anything dead in plastic.

If you're ever a suspect in a murder, this statement will come back to bite you.

clap.gif hahaha!!!!!!! I can't say I was expecting that!

(edited)

ugh remind me to stop posting right before bed :rolleyes:

forrest the lta is not AFAIK one of the fraggable anemones, though it has pretty much fragged the entire side of itself off anyway. I am still watching it, but had to move it to a specimen/fish container to prevent it blowing around the tank. it is still with us, but continues to show no real signs of progress.

Edited by Jager