Jellyfish Tank

jaddc

I have a larger jellyfish tank I got from jelliquarium......I tried to keep jellies I caught from the Bay in it with no luck.....I tried both comb jellies and sea nettles.....alll died within a week.....I'm not sure why. I found it a real challenge to keep them alive.....maybe I'll try again this year when they come back........

Here is a link to where I got my tank:

http://www.jelliquarium.com/

cheers,

Darren

I have a larger jellyfish tank I got from jelliquarium......I tried to keep jellies I caught from the Bay in it with no luck.....I tried both comb jellies and sea nettles.....alll died within a week.....I'm not sure why. I found it a real challenge to keep them alive.....maybe I'll try again this year when they come back........

cheers,

Darren

your water should be brackish or similar to where you caught em from and feed live brine nauplii (fresh hatched)they might live a tad longer.

Edited by GaryL

cheers,

Darren

Darren -

Can you explain a little more about the jellie system (water params, flow, etc.)? As Gary said, you should try as best as possible to keep the water similar to the Bay (brackish). Comb jellies are a little more difficult, as we keep them cooler (~14C) and eat live brine several times a day.

But the nettles I find are MUCH easier, keep them at ambient temperature, and feed them brine, mysis, frozen rotifers, cyclopeez, etc. (fish food). And, even with a life expectancy of just a few months (if/when the temp drops in the Bay), I have kept individuals alive for more than two years. I assume this is b/c they don't get that temp drop "cue" to spawn and then die.

FYI - I keep the nettles at about 1.010

Cheers

Mike

Edited by OUsnakebyte

Just saw this, and I want it!

https://www.jellyfishart.com/Articles.asp?ID=266

I read a little through that, and... well, I don't trust all of what they claim. First, moon jellies (Aurelia) absolutely DO sting - unless that was something else that got me in Florida behind the ear... But, their sting is just not that powerful.

And, I assume everyone here knows this, but don't trust that "instant cycle" stuff. Treat your jellie aquarium as you would any reef - give it time to cycle, maintain good water quality, etc. I see that it comes with an air pump...??? Make sure none of the air bubbles are gettig trapped under the bell. This will keep the jellies at the top and they won't be able to swim down.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, a little feel for my parameters......basically I tried to match salinity and temperature to what it was where I caught them in the Bay. I used live rock from my reef tank to cycle the tank (before I caught the jellies) and I fed the comb jellies a combination of live baby brine and a 200 micron filter feeding food (I forget what is was called--this was like 4 years ago) and the sea nettles basically ate anything I put in the tank. All jellies responded to the food when added and i could see them actively eating in my tank. The first comb jellies died, I think, because I didn't get the flow correct in the tank and they kept hitting the sides. The second group of comb jellies died for an unknown reason (I got the flow issue fixed the second time). The sea nettles died faster for me.....I think because of some water chemistry issue, but I'm not sure why. If you are going to the WAMAS spring meeting could you give me some pointers on how you have cared for them in the past? It sounds like you have had more success than I have and I would like to learn from you if possible.

thanks,

Darren

Darren -

Can you explain a little more about the jellie system (water params, flow, etc.)? As Gary said, you should try as best as possible to keep the water similar to the Bay (brackish). Comb jellies are a little more difficult, as we keep them cooler (~14C) and eat live brine several times a day.

But the nettles I find are MUCH easier, keep them at ambient temperature, and feed them brine, mysis, frozen rotifers, cyclopeez, etc. (fish food). And, even with a life expectancy of just a few months (if/when the temp drops in the Bay), I have kept individuals alive for more than two years. I assume this is b/c they don't get that temp drop "cue" to spawn and then die.

FYI - I keep the nettles at about 1.010

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, a little feel for my parameters......basically I tried to match salinity and temperature to what it was where I caught them in the Bay. I used live rock from my reef tank to cycle the tank (before I caught the jellies) and I fed the comb jellies a combination of live baby brine and a 200 micron filter feeding food (I forget what is was called--this was like 4 years ago) and the sea nettles basically ate anything I put in the tank. All jellies responded to the food when added and i could see them actively eating in my tank. The first comb jellies died, I think, because I didn't get the flow correct in the tank and they kept hitting the sides. The second group of comb jellies died for an unknown reason (I got the flow issue fixed the second time). The sea nettles died faster for me.....I think because of some water chemistry issue, but I'm not sure why. If you are going to the WAMAS spring meeting could you give me some pointers on how you have cared for them in the past? It sounds like you have had more success than I have and I would like to learn from you if possible.

thanks,

Darren

Sure, we can chat at the meeting. I took some pics of the jellie tank today, but I left my camera at work. Sorry. I'll try to upload them later.

Cheers

Mike

I read a little through that, and... well, I don't trust all of what they claim. First, moon jellies (Aurelia) absolutely DO sting - unless that was something else that got me in Florida behind the ear... But, their sting is just not that powerful.

And, I assume everyone here knows this, but don't trust that "instant cycle" stuff. Treat your jellie aquarium as you would any reef - give it time to cycle, maintain good water quality, etc. I see that it comes with an air pump...??? Make sure none of the air bubbles are gettig trapped under the bell. This will keep the jellies at the top and they won't be able to swim down.

Cheers

Mike

The air looks like it's directed through a side channel so as to not to interact with the jellies.