Lighting, hmmm....

JMsAquarium

So here I am toying with the idea of lighting my tank a little bit differently than the current setup. The tank is a standard 120 g (4 x 2 x 2). The current lighting setup is 2 x 400W XM 20,000 K running for about 10 hours per day.

What I am wondering is, would it be more beneficial (corals are a mix of various softies and stonies) to run a more progressive pattern?

The main idea is to figure out if a period of low-medium-high-medium-low lighting intensity, kinda trying to replicate a daylight pattern. How would this affect the corals?

Such as something like this:

Let's assume the same MH plus 4 X 96 W PCs (2 PC bulbs on each side of the MHs).

Hours 0 to 2: The 2 front PC bulbs turn on

Hours 2 to 4: The 2 back PC bulbs turn on (now the 4 PCs are on)

Hours 4 to 7: the 4 PCs tur off and the 2 MH turn on

Hours 7 to 9 the 4 PCs tur on and the 2 MHs turn off

Hours 9 to 11 the 2 front PCs turn off

Hour 12 the remaining 2 back PCs turn off

Sweet dreams fishies and corals.

What are your opinions/experience (if you did something similar?) Now the MHs will stay in the setup, opinions on other bulb alternatives in lieu of the PCs are welcome.

What do you people think?

JM

It sounds complicated enough to try it and see what happens for the next three or five month. Although I will just turn the PC's on 1 hour before the MH and turn them off 1 hr after the MH go off. Saves you some on your electric bill.

what rating on the pcs would you go? 50/50? i added vho actinics and cycled them on 1hr before the MH and 1hr after, for sun up sun down. i also like the glow from the corals from the actinics. makes everything stand out big-time.

Jake, that's the spirit :rolleyes: Just out of curiosity, it would be worth a try. (btw, that clown I got from you, a few months ago, is a very happy dude and has doubled its size).

Gary, Now that's another thing I am debating. I was thinking on actinic 3s in the baco and something around 6,500 in the front, 50/50 all, or another combination. Haven't made my mind up yet.

Have you noticed any improvement in your coral growth/health and such after a while?

Just wondering if it is worth the try before I buy another set of ballasts and bulbs.

since i run 20k also not really. but they color up nicely. i made a mistake and ran 10k's in an eye ballast so ill be switching over to the correct 6500k and 2 20k's i will see if i like it then.

Interesting, So you like the combo actinic 65K? That's a combo that sounds god. The other day sunlight went through the tank while the lights were off in the morning. The colors were outstanding. Maybe the 65k will be the closest match? (scratching my head).

So what do you guys woud go for ? A combo of MH-PCs or MH-VHOs?

if you have a chance to check out cowries tank do it. they have 6500k MH bulbs and i think they have pc actinic. i hope they catch this post to correct me. i know the MH part is right. there tank looks very good nice white, and very good growth. i have gone with VHO because i picked the ballast and bulbs up cheap. looking at these different systems on the web they all have seem to come down alot if you go with the retro stuff. if you go witht the premade canopies it gets pricey

I prefer MH and VHO actinics- But if you are running 20 K MHs you do not need much actinic supplement and could run a 6500 K bulb in one or two of the VHO slots- The VHO preference is becasue they put out a lot of PAR- and 110 watts per 4' bulb. I run two 250 DE 10K AB MH's and four 110 actinic VHO two in front of the MHs and two on the back side on basically the same foot print of your 120 tank. I am pretty happy with the reults. Feel free to drop by and see the set up if you get a chance or want to see before buying. Pm me for the address if you are interested. I inserted my VHOs as a retro fit in the canopy run on one ballast-

Regards,

It will definitely be retrofit stuff. Since it will have to fit both my existing DYI set up and my convincing explanation to my wife on why I want to add more stuff (again :D )

Yes, the 65k VHOs sound a good possibility, since I like the overall color of the XMs 20K