John's 57G Rimless

John

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

Yep, although they've moved to the left side of the tank...they rarely are visible from the front.

Edited by John

• 4 weeks later...

Received some very beautiful colonies from Joe, Green Slimer and Jason Fox's Snakehead...tank feels full now.

Changed out Koralia 2 for a Koralia Nano on the right side of tank, its being used to keep the frogspawn away from Blue Tort Frag; Brilliant!

gallery_2632034_906_1013099.jpg

gallery_2632034_906_975811.jpg

gallery_2632034_906_283033.jpg

Thanks for the compliment!

Yes, I love the dimensions of this tank, it's a perfect size to display a few nice colonies and let everything else grow between. My only complaint with the tank is the huge overflow box. I think I hid it well with some creative rock-scaping, but it took a few weeks to figure that out.

I'm jealous of Amuze's new 90g "cube"ish tank...perfect dimensions 36" x 24" x 24"...wow, can't wait to see what he does with that!

(edited)

This hobby is full of surprises

I came home to a snail hanging by a thread, much like a spider...repelling from the powerhead...

gallery_2632034_906_351532.jpg

I can e-mail video if you want to see it, PM me your e-mail.

Edited by John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just picked one of these up, and scrapped my idea on the 45 cube. What a #(#@*)@)#)(%)(*# awesome tank. Glad to see somebody else with such a love for LPS. That frogspawn is out of control.... and grew REALLY fast. Thanks for your help with a sump, I'm inspired, and would LOVE a picture of how your tank is looking now!

Thanks! You'll love the tank...I sure have...as requested an updated FTS...The large blue/green Acro has lost some of its color and I believe its due to low Alk...adding those large SPS colonies put a hurtin' on my dosing regimen, but I've got it sorted and just giving it time to color back up; it certainly hasn't stopped growing. I unloaded the Jason Fox Snakehead, I didn't find the colorartion that much different from the blue/green acro and I could care less about names. The green pocillopora is larger than a softball, frags being dropped off at LFS as they become available. The Frogspawn is huge, over 25 large heads with at least 25 baby sprouts on the way. The lower heads expand against the side of the tank, can't wait to see which direction they grow. The Hammer has also sprouted new heads, can't wait to see that a year from now. The sunset monti has grown like crazy (even down under the shaded ledge, which I find bizarre). I continue to grow a large mushroom colony behind the rockwork, which is pretty cool. For the most part, I just throw mushrooms in the tank and see where they land, so its been fun watching them move across the tank, up the overflow, etc.

02122013. 2JPG

Edited by John

I just picked one of these up, and scrapped my idea on the 45 cube. What a #(#@*)@)#)(%)(*# awesome tank. Glad to see somebody else with such a love for LPS. That frogspawn is out of control.... and grew REALLY fast. Thanks for your help with a sump, I'm inspired, and would LOVE a picture of how your tank is looking now!

Let's get you build started

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks WAMAS, I can't believe you left this guy at the store...Neon is like neon trumpet...I still can't use a camera.

score

Last addition before LED swap at the end of the month...

I look forward to seeing how the Evergrows look/produce over the Blue Line.

Any shots with your new lights? They must be working out, because I haven't heard any complaints!

New lights have not arrived yet. I am in the process of re-modeling the tank and making room for my LPS addicition...I'll update thread once new lights are in...

(edited)

So, I wanted to tank a photo of the tank prior to the upcoming change to LED for future reference. This past weekend involved a complete re-aquascape (for no good reason) I was able to rid some rock & SPS in the process which opened up a lot more room for LPS, both on the rock structure and in the sandbed. I replaced the return pump with a new one since the other one had become inconsistent upon restart. Now, I look forward to a week of trying to calculate my new 2-part dosing levels...

03252013 L

03252013 R

Edited by John

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I was able to hang my Evergrow Photon32 / Reef Breeders IT2080 this morning. Installation was simple since my Ice Cap MH pendant was already suspended...I still need to add furrels to the end of the cable as fail-safe. (If you mount with stock cables you don't have to worry about this step) I was able to drop the fixture 5", which makes viewing from the front much more pleasurable. Programming is intuitive and easy, especially since it comes with an IR remote...

Both channels are running @ 10%. I will slowly increment intensity with time.

04052013 LED

Edited by John

Something tells me this will be pleasantly surprising. My metal halides are really starting to heat up my little apartment, and it's not even hot weather yet, looks like I might be following suit, staying tuned.

Yeah, do it while your tank is young...If you wanna come check out the tank/fixture on your next trip to BRK, just swing on by.

Yeah, do it while your tank is young...If you wanna come check out the tank/fixture on your next trip to BRK, just swing on by.

I appreciate that. I've been looking for a reason to check out BRK, now I have two.

Is while the tank is young suggestion because the change in light is hard on the corals? I just moved my Frogspawn on the side back by how you have yours (left while facing the tank) and I believe it's doubled in size, really came out of it's shell.