What setting is best for macro?

BowieReefer84

I have a Panasonic Lumix ZS5. It is 12x optical zoom. Has both auto as well as full manual control.... I can't seem to get it to focus up close through the glass. Of course taking regular pictures it is fantastic.

Any pointers?

Thanks!

Edited by BowieReefer84

See my post in your other thread. Most likely you are too close. Somewhere in your manual it should tell you a minimum focusing distance which may be a foot or more.

Back up so the camera can focus and then crop it in.

A quick web search says your min focusing distance is 50 cm or almost two feet unless you switch it into macro mode where it drops to three cm. So, have you tried your macro mode?

Edited by hypertech

A quick web search says your min focusing distance is 50 cm or almost two feet unless you switch it into macro mode where it drops to three cm. So, have you tried your macro mode?

Yea, I have tried Macro mode to no avail. I have the ISO high with a fast shutter speed and highest fstop? I will try backing up. I am going to practice on regular still shots, than move on to tank shots.

are you using the macro and zooming? thats probably your problem, back your zoom out and it should focus

Yes, I was using macro, and zooming right up to the subject. I will back it up, and crop. I am in the beginner stages. Going up to Deep Creek this weekend, and will try to get some practice in up there.

Yes, I was using macro, and zooming right up to the subject. I will back it up, and crop. I am in the beginner stages. Going up to Deep Creek this weekend, and will try to get some practice in up there.

When it doesn't focus, definitely adjust the zoom and then see if it will focus. Also try out aperture priority mode and shutter priority mode if they are available rather than locking in your aperture and shutter speed. If your camera has bracketing, try that out in conjunction with aperture priority and shutter priority. In manual mode, if you've maxed out your shutter speed and maxed out your aperture (which results in the minimum hole, max depth of field) then you probably won't ever get a good photo due to lack of light hitting the sensor. You have to find the sweet spot that's a blend of ISO, shutter speed, and aperture.

When it doesn't focus, definitely adjust the zoom and then see if it will focus. Also try out aperture priority mode and shutter priority mode if they are available rather than locking in your aperture and shutter speed. If your camera has bracketing, try that out in conjunction with aperture priority and shutter priority. In manual mode, if you've maxed out your shutter speed and maxed out your aperture (which results in the minimum hole, max depth of field) then you probably won't ever get a good photo due to lack of light hitting the sensor. You have to find the sweet spot that's a blend of ISO, shutter speed, and aperture.

I do have aperature priority, shutter priority, as well as bracketing. What exactly is bracketing. It goes to +1. I am not aware of what this feature does. I am pretty good on setting the ISO (keep it around 80-100). Shutter speed is adjustable from 1/1600 which results in very dark almost black pictures to 60 seconds which results in pure white (I have been using 1/60 - 1/15 with decent results).... Aperature is something I need to figure out at this point.

Can you elaborate on bracketing and aperature? Thank you much!

I do have aperature priority, shutter priority, as well as bracketing. What exactly is bracketing. It goes to +1. I am not aware of what this feature does. I am pretty good on setting the ISO (keep it around 80-100). Shutter speed is adjustable from 1/1600 which results in very dark almost black pictures to 60 seconds which results in pure white (I have been using 1/60 - 1/15 with decent results).... Aperature is something I need to figure out at this point.

Can you elaborate on bracketing and aperature? Thank you much!

The aperture is basically the size of the hole in the back of the lens that allows light to pass through. Larger aperture allows more light, usually pairs with faster shutter speed (especially to stop fast-moving things - even the coral polyps that may be moving in the current). However, a larger aperture reduces your depth of field - which is how much of the image is actually in focus. The total depth of field will be 1/3 in front of the focal point and 2/3 behind the focal point. But how that translates in actual distance depends on the depth of field.

Bracketing will adjust your aperture (f-stop) +1, -1, +2, -2, or whatever your settings allow and take multiple photos in quick sequence. So if you set to aperture priority mode and bracket +1, -1, and set your aperture to F/1.7, when you press the shutter release it should take 3 photos: 1 @ F/1.5, 1 @ F/1.7, 1 @ F/1.9 (I think those values are correct, but you get the idea) and adjust the shutter speed appropriately given the amount of light available and the ISO setting.

Also play with the ISO setting - most cameras won't show significant noise until you get above 400 or 800. My camera is actually good up to about 3200. So if you tweak your ISO up to 400 or so, you shouldn't notice too much noise, you'll be able to stop down your aperture to increase your depth of field while still maintaining a respectable shutter speed - 1/250 to 1/500 is usually pretty good starting point to stop the motion in your tank. If shooting a fast-moving fish you'll need to step it up to 1/1000 or 1/2000.

• 2 months later...