Help. My Acropora are dying.

bbyatv

Sean,

I appreciate all of the advice. Thanks for the help.

I hope I can slow this RTN down.

Bruce

try an tweak your CaCo3 reactor to run a higher dKh that will really help. I have also found, that in a high demand system where a reactor and kalk are being used that adding neomag(which is a pure(er) form of mag carb than dolomite, will be very beneficial

Sean

PS i am sure, that regardless of your Mag levels, that your Alk levels were low or fluctuating, keep dosing until you re-tune youre reactor.

I had a volleyball sized purple tipped acro rtn, alk was the issue. The good news is, I didn't have the heart to yank the "skeleton" out, about a month later I started seeing what looked like flesh on it. Sure enough it started coming back. Four months later about 40% has grown back and I am even starting to see purple tips on a few. As fragile as these animals are, in my experience, they are resilient.

I think i have the similar problem with a couple of my acro and zoas...i have low alkanity and causes low pH..I started to dose kalk with ATO...zoas seems to bounce back but 1 piece of sps is dying..from base up..should i frag it to save it?

I think i have the similar problem with a couple of my acro and zoas...i have low alkanity and causes low pH..I started to dose kalk with ATO...zoas seems to bounce back but 1 piece of sps is dying..from base up..should i frag it to save it?

It wouldn't hurt to go ahead a frag it. Just make sure you cut it were there is all good " skin ". I had a problem with my alk and ph also. I started with alk in the top off. I lost a few pieces but everything is bouncing back. I also started doing 10 gal. water changes a day instead of one 70 gal a week. My water parameters are right on since i started doing this. It is easier doing the little water changes than the big ones. I dont have to shut down anything to do it.

I have been running about 8.0, but I think my test kit was measuring high. I think I was actually at like 6.5 or so. I am going to start running at 10.0 so that if I get a swing either way, it does not go above 11 or below 9.

Bruce

Bruce just wondering what you had your alk at when all the acros were doing okay. Same for you Skins how bad was the drop in alk that led to your acro rtn.

• 1 month later...

Since my original post on 2/12/11, I seem to have beat back the STN.

The trick seems to have been raising the Alk (Thanks Sean F&F).

I bought a Hanna Instuments 755 Alk meter and a good standard test solution.

I am now very confident that my alk is ator very near 10.0 dkh.

My STN has come to a stand still. Some corals are growing back over the dead bases.

I had to frag up three or four nice colonies but at least I was able to keep the corals going.

I will end up having some nice frags availablein the near future.

Any way, thanks for all the help. The tank is looking good again.

When you see STN, think low alk.

Bruce

I think the lowest it got was 6.5.

Bruce

Good to hear. What was the lowest your ALK went down too?