125g tank

Guest what up

Guest what up

Hi,

Need advices, I will be purchasing 125g tank from glasscage. They will pre-drill in the back of the tank for me, but I don't know which hole size I should go for and how many hole? 1", 1.5" or 2" also how many holes. Please advices! specially reefers which have or experience with large tank 120g and up!

Thank much.

Guest clownfish4

Are you getting closed loop holes as well? I would go with two 1.5" holes for drain. Also I've heard glass cages isn't a very reputable company.

Guest what up

Clownfish4,

I don't know at this time since this will be my 1st biggest tank?

What is your tank configurations? Close loop, how many total holes in your tank ect...? thank in advance!

What up,

Thank I will try to do some research on Glasscages.

If anyone have any info on this topic please advices many thanks.

I would get a price from GC on the tank design you want then decide if the risk of poor quality in either the silcone seams or edges of the glass is worth it. I have purchased two glasscages tanks - one glass cube and one acrylic cube. End conclusion is that their work is disappointing but a cheap alternative. If I was doing a final display, I would absolutely go with another custom manufacturer or a standard Oceanic tank.

Now to your question:

If I was doing a 125 I would do a center overflow with two 2" drains and two 1.5" holes drilled outside of the overflow along side the overflow for a closed loop. This assumes that you would be able to view the tank from the short sides - ie setup on a typical stand. If the short sides weren't visible I would do two corner overflows and have the drains for the CL near each of overflows.

You might also consider return holes for the CL. IE something like 4 1/2" or 3/4" bulkhead holes. Depending on your ideas for the tank down the line, the location of those

Something to think about:

Any particular reason you are leaning towards a 125? If you have room I would suggest a 180 with 6' x 2' footprint. 125s are great for reefs but the 24" front to back depth makes a huge difference. If total gallons is a concern - the 4'x2'x2' 120 is a nice alternative also.

Steve

on my 150 i went with 1" holes but if i had a do-over i woulod go with 2" for drilled overflows. i have a drilled closed loop with one inch bulkheads, so if you divide the tank in half and draw an x on each half that is were i put the bulkheads. my tank is 6 ft long. one hole is an intake for the closed loop and one is a return into a y piped with locline to bend the flow were i need it. HTH gary

hrm... I was thinking about getting a tank from glasscages as well.. what are some recommended alternatives?

Im going to be doing a room separator tank and will be need my drain holes on one side on the bottom.......

Guest what up

I talked to the GC! I tell you these people, they don't care much for customer.

Did not answer my questions all B.S!!! keep refer me to there website which do not have what I looking for anyway, I am glad that I did not do business with them, oh well I am looking for others manufacture.

Edited by what up