Anybody able to do some welding for me?

DaveS

All, I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B000H6D2FW/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

It's pretty much made of powder coated steel tubing. I have it in a shallow space right now and walking behind it is a pain. It would make my life easier if I made the scaffold shallower (less distance from front to back) than it currently is. I would like to take the left side, cut the four horizontal pieces and shorten them by about 6" and then re-weld the left rear post to them. I may want to do that on the right too but the left side is where the main problem is. Another option is to just shorten the upper two horizontal pieces and bend the left rear post inward, leaving the lower part with the wheel where it is. I just need enough clearance for a beer gut to pass by. :biggrin: I know these changes could make it easier to tip over when standing on it and I have ideas to address this.

Anyone able to help with this? Since it's around saltwater, it will be important to properly coat the metal afterward to prevent rust.

Ideas?

Dave, I wouldn't do that with that piece if I were you. The shelves are made to fit into grooves on the cross bars and when they aren't in them, they aren't even and slide around a lot. Also, the scaffold is not as stable as you'd like it to be even when it's in original condition. If you really need to, build some custom shelves for it and have the cross bars go diagonally instead of being perpendicular to the path you want to walk. This will maintain the integrity of the original design as well as allow you to have less depth to it. It will also allow you to use it in its original condition if you want to use it normally again. It will still be somewhat shaky, but probably better than what you're intending on doing.

Hmm not sure I understand. The shelves will still need to fit on the supports as before. Ther are lsome other ocks which help keep things in place. With what I'm envisioning, the only difference will just be 6" shallower from front to back. That will make it tipneasier but I got some ideas for that.

It would be easy to take a 6" section out of the middle of each of the horizontal bars and then put a slightly bigger piece of tubing over the cut and weld it into place.

It would be easy to take a 6" section out of the middle of each of the horizontal bars and then put a slightly bigger piece of tubing over the cut and weld it into place.

Without the need to weld you could cut and slide the slightly bigger tub over as described above. Then instead of welding just drill and thru bolt each side. Make the bigger tub go all the way to the sides as much as possible.

(edited)

Without the need to weld you could cut and slide the slightly bigger tub over as described above. Then instead of welding just drill and thru bolt each side. Make the bigger tub go all the way to the sides as much as possible.

I really liked this idea until I realized that the platforms (which have notches) then wouldn't fit over the tubs any more...

Maybe a narrower tube!

Edited by DaveS

Yo Dave,

I'm alittle further out here, close to BRK, but if you want to bring it to me at my home, I can probably accomodate you. Just about any kind of cutting tools you could think of including a plasma cutter, and any and all welding (stick,mig,tig,oxy-acetylene). just let me know.

Mike