Fish mating

eddi

I have a Copperband in my downstairs tank and one in my upstairs one. I had to take the upstairs tank down, I am in the process of resetting it up, so I moved the Copperband downstairs. I was very hesitant, the one downstairs is much bigger and I was afraid they would fight

I was very glad when not only they did not, but often swim together. Maybe I got lucky and they paired up. So I started wondering what the chances of mating are. Not so much for Copperbands, which I know are tricky, or for the more common ones such as Cardinals and Clowns, but in general.

Anyone ever have two tangs mate in their tanks? Angels? Wrasses? Is it simply out of the question?

Just wondering...

I have no idea on the question....

But a pair of Copperbands is incredible. So many reefers struggle to keep them in reef tanks or even keep them feeding. Here you have two of them no only living and not picking on the reef, but also pairing up. Absolutely incredible. Where exactly are you located? I have to see at some point.

Steve

Steve,

I have somehow always been very lucky with Copperbands. They are one of my favorite fish so I have had one in every tank I have ever owned and only once I remember struggling to get him/her to eat. Dumb luck.

The bigger one is more of a yellow than orange color, I think that means it's from Australia, and the other one is from the Red Sea so maybe that's one reason they seem to be doing fine. Another is that they are both in a large tank, 360 gallons. It is rather fish crowded now with the new occupants, but everybody is doing well.

I live off Stringfellow Rd, you are welcome to come by anytime. Just let me know.

Eddie,

The place with the most detail on this would be the breeders registry.

Frank Marini is da man. ( I know frank pretty well and can get him up here sometime if the group would like him as a speaker)

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/apr2002/breeder.htm

FWIW,

The couple of weeks leading up to the Light Demo, while I was doing water changes, I noticed that I ACTUALLY had baby Percula Clowns in my tank about an 1/8" long. OF COURSE, when the guys showed up for the demo, non could be found! Was pretty cool and hopefully if I see them again, will post to see if anyone can raise them up? They where holding around the gravel in some nuisance algae that I'm trying to get rid of!

Howard