packing up equipment

michaelg

Other than giving a good wipe down, what are suggestions on pump care for packing in storage for a while? I have had impellars freeze in the body before, so want to avoid that. Just fresh water rinse? Or thorough water and vinegar as well? Alchohol rinse to chase the water after? Other suggestions for cleaning up equipment appreciated. Never been through this process before.

Michael

I would use vinegar and remove any scale buildup. If you are worried about the impellers freezing up you could store the pieces of the pump separately. of course then you have to worry about loosing or breaking pieces.

I would second the last suggestion. I would soak the water exposed parts in vinegar for a good long time. I had an Iwaki seize after a power outage a while back and after cleaning and soaking all the relevent parts in vinegar, it was good as new. That way you get rid of as much as possible before storage. As for whether the Iwaki will be fine after storage (I swapped in a new one while cleaning), i don't know yet :blink: Maybe someone with long term storage experience will pipe in.

MichaelG

For all mechanical parts like impellers and pumps, etc. it will help if you wipe a little mineral oil around the rubber and sealant parts. Mineral oil should not affect your parts when back in use but if you are worried you can always clean them up before restarting the units.

Jacob