Agrocrete arch of tables?

LanglandJoshua

I may be odering a 20lb agrocrete arch from a guy who owns a aquarium shop. Sadly right now I cant for the life of me remember the name of the company. But if anyone here knows Leroy Headlee. Thats him, he quoted me $5 a lb so thats a $100 for 20 lb's. And offered 4lb's of "grunge" basically a biolgical starter sand for my tank for free. So I wanted to ask the more experienced reefers here to see what you thaught. I dont have to pay shipping, so thats a plus. But I want to check and see deal or no deal?why.gif

clap.gif bb.gif bb.gif bb.gif bb.gif bb.gif Thanksbb.gif bb.gif bb.gif clap.gif

tongue.gif

Your talking about GARF.org and I say no deal only because they are super easy to make and it would be cheaper then buying and shipping a rock across the country. Plus you can make it any size or shape you want. I started making my own over ten years ago from the recipe on Leroy's site.

Guest thefishman65

I just made some with White Portland, Perlite, and crushed oyster shell. Only hard part is soaking. It does not fit in my bin so I have to keep turning it. Where are you I have left over cement and perlite? I probably made a 20lb rock which is a 40lb size because perlite ways nothing and spent less than $100 for the supplies.

I agree with the others, you should make it yourself. Its VERY easy and cheap to do and you can make whatever shapes you want. I was able to get incredibly pourus rock that is riddled with caves and holes. My fish love swimming in and out of it and it is exactly what I want it to look like. Plus if you buy it already made you will have to pay to ship concrete to your house. Here is the video I used as a guide and it worked perfectly. I used portland cement, chrushed oyster shell for chicken feed from Southern States and water softener granules. Once the water softener pellets disolve you can literally pour water right through this rock. Check out my page link below to see what it looks like, can't tell it from live rock. You do have to let this stuff cure but I can tell you I couldn't be happier with the result.

Here is the video I used as a guide

Your talking about GARF.org and I say no deal only because they are super easy to make and it would be cheaper then buying and shipping a rock across the country. Plus you can make it any size or shape you want. I started making my own over ten years ago from the recipe on Leroy's site.

He is covering the cost of shipping, and Im not all that sure Im ready or willing to risk making it myself.

I can understand being hesitant to make it yourself, I was too before I did it. My concrete skill level ranks somewhere between a trained monkey and a caveman. Seriously though it is very easy and you get exactly what shapes you want.

My total cost of materials was $30 and I only used a third of it. Spend the cash you save on something else for your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just made some with White Portland, Perlite, and crushed oyster shell. Only hard part is soaking. It does not fit in my bin so I have to keep turning it. Where are you I have left over cement and perlite? I probably made a 20lb rock which is a 40lb size because perlite ways nothing and spent less than $100 for the supplies.

Im in Vienna Virginia. I have a 75 gallon rectangular aquarium. Another question I have to ask is how should I go about making a stable arch??

You can do it one of two ways. I used a rubbermaid container to build my forms in. Basically you put sand in and create voids to put your concrete in.

You can start with two piles of concrete on the flat bottom of the container. Add sand all around them up to top of the concrete. Then add two more piles a little closer making sure this concrete matches the layer below. Add sand again. Repeat steps until you have one continous arch of concrete.

The second way is to build it laying on it's side. Fill the container halfway up with sand. Dig out a U shaped indentation in the sand. Pour your concrete in the indentation and let it pile up above the sand. Gently por sand over all of the concrete to keep it moist and hold it's shape.

The key with arches is to make sure the arch is at least 3" or so thick and your mix is relatively dry. Dryer allows you to mound it up.

I used the first method for my cave. The sides have lots of holes and shelves to make it more natural looking. The shelves also allow for plenty of places to mount coral. In your 75 you would have plenty of room for a large arch, a cave rock and then some.

Do a search on YouTube for man made live rock. There are tons of video tutorials for ideas. Most importantly have fun and make your rock exactly the way you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk