55 gallon silicone bust at 3:45 am

LanglandJoshua

eek.gif excl.gif My 55 gallon reef tank busted a leak out the bottom right about the time I was finishing my post for the rotifers. Luckily I was able to save all my SPS and fish(anemone, shrimp and crabs included). But now they are stuck with 55 gallon equipment blowing them all around inside a 30 gallon tuperware storage tub. So I want to get them back into a healthy tank environment ASAP. So I like acrylic but have no experience with it, Ive always used glass. This is the first major failure I have had on one of my tanks, I have seen entire tanks emptied in 10 seconds... not mine, until now. But making it more confusing is that I also want a built in overflow so I can get rid of my clunky hang on overflow. But the next best price for a tank like that in acrylic is $100 over the regular 50 gallon. But the glass tank with overflow and some filter accessories is only $30 over the acrylic basic tank. Another questoin would be if I have the overflow and or false back does that count into the size, or do they enlarge the tank a few inches? So over all I would just like to hear what you guys think of acrylic and if its really worth it over glass. Edited by LanglandJoshua

Welcome to WAMAS, and sorry for your terrible luck!

What kind of stand did you have your tank on? How old was the tank, and who made it?

I've had both glass & acrylic tanks in the past, and won't go back to acrylic for any kind of high light reef tank. It's just too hard to keep clean, since you can't use a razorblade to clean off coralline algae. If it weren't for that, then yes acrylic is the way to go. I've heard Dobie pads can remove coralline from acrylic safely, but I've never tried it and don't know how much work it is compared to a razor.

BTW, acrylic tanks can fail too if built poorly or kept on a warped stand.

Justin

Welcome to WAMAS, and sorry for your terrible luck!

What kind of stand did you have your tank on? How old was the tank, and who made it?

I've had both glass & acrylic tanks in the past, and won't go back to acrylic for any kind of high light reef tank. It's just too hard to keep clean, since you can't use a razorblade to clean off coralline algae. If it weren't for that, then yes acrylic is the way to go. I've heard Dobie pads can remove coralline from acrylic safely, but I've never tried it and don't know how much work it is compared to a razor.

BTW, acrylic tanks can fail too if built poorly or kept on a warped stand.

Justin

Haha, thanks

Its on a steel stand, kinda flimsy it was $60 and looked better than a bunch of 2X4's. The tank is about 5 months old, as far as production I dont know. I do know I got it for free and had to recaulk it. So I do take responsibility for that, I did everything right to my knowledge. I pressed out the bulbles made sure I aplied the silicone evenly and thick enough to take a beating. But the preasure just seemed to be too much tonight.

That I understand thats an issue for me is I know they can both fail. Also unfortunately I get insane algae. I got a new 65 gallon protien skimmer yesterday and the tank looked nice and clean today(had to scrub it every day to keep glass clear, even has green coraline algae like yours all on the sides. So all my hopes are pinned on not having too much algae anymore.

Do you think I need a better stand? Could that be it?

Ditto. I love acrylic because it's clearer, lighter, more easily drillable, and can have seamless corners.

But it's a PITA to keep clean, and the purpose of using transparent materials to build an aquarium is so you can see into it! My next tank will be glass.

Glad you're able to turn this near-catastrophe into an opportunity to make your system even better.

Jon

I've had both glass & acrylic tanks in the past, and won't go back to acrylic for any kind of high light reef tank. It's just too hard to keep clean, since you can't use a razorblade to clean off coralline algae.

Ditto. I love acrylic because it's clearer, lighter, more easily drillable, and can have seamless corners.

But it's a PITA to keep clean, and the purpose of using transparent materials to build an aquarium is so you can see into it! My next tank will be glass.

Glad you're able to turn this near-catastrophe into an opportunity to make your system even better.

Jon

Believe me Im trying, I think I might be more shocked than my fish. They are hiding in the rocks and wont come out! WHERE DO I HIDE? HAHA, well Im really leaning now to the glass tank because after all for a little more it will have the built in overflow and some other goodies that can only help. One thing for me is, you can call it bigger is better, or whatever I dont want to lose the 5 gallons I would if I got acrylic. It only comes in 50 gallon and 60 gallon. So I might just get glass. But Im not sure, still like the sound of acrylic. But if it gets dirty how do you clean it without damaging it? What it my magfloat grabs some sand and I dont see it? Am I gonna end up with a tank that looks like a two year old ETCHED his SCETCH into it?

Bumper. I also have both G and A tanks. I use a credit card to get the coraline off.

Welcome to Wamas.

Thanks

You use a credit card? Doesnt that violate some term of contract. On a real note, I have a hard time getting all sides of my tank thats why I use a magfloat.

Im still in between the two types

Hey guys, just giving an update. I got some very generous offers for help in my Inbox. I wanna say thanks to all the people who offered some tanks, even one 90 gallon full setup. But as it is now I have gotten a 75 and stand to replace my flimsy tubed steel stand(I was afraid of Reef Armagedon every time I scrubed algae). So its all doing well, I actually baught a good bit of SPS from a Miss A the day before I had this incident. Luckily it all survived, and is looking great. Also big thanks to you guys who helped me consider what to do, I was so confused but I did settle with GLASS. Its cheaper and I cant stand scratches in my tank. I would lose my mind with acrylic. So good luck to all, and if anyone out there is new and has an emergency KEEP SOME LARGE STORAGE CONTAINERS AROUND!!! You can use them as replacement tanks temporarily, I put my sand in one and my fish/seperable living organisms in another. My light went on top of the "replavement" tank and I used all my same gear to keep water flow in the container. I learned that even though a Fluval 405 can get the intake/output kinda stuck on the lip of the container its a life saver! From all the places Ive done research they all agree on keeping backup systems, just rinse out the tuperware with some fresh water first and wipe the water out before adding your stock of organisms. Best of luck, and thanks again